MacKenzie

Konro Table

On 9/30/2018 at 6:40 AM, tekobo said:

You mustn't forget to feed the gods.  They get angry otherwise!  

Great looking table.  I am so jealous that you've already got your grill.  Latest prediction I have received is for November delivery at the earliest.  Wondering if @amusedtodeath and @Pequod will get theirs in time for Christmas. 

I received mine around 6-7 weeks ago, and was so happy! I'm still working on my skewering skills - the last time I tried cooking "without a net", the skewers kept flipping to one side down... Not balanced well... Maybe too much meat, or too big pieces... I've got some flat metal skewers I need to use, but I've been trying to learn with the small wood ones they sell at Korin. But the taste has been fantastic, all I had looked forward to. It's nice sitting on the porch cooking as we go, but it needs to cool down here - still in the nineties in the afternoon! I am veeery envious of @ckreef and @MacKenzie' s table modifications... I'm using a round wrought iron outdoor table, so would need to replace with wood one to do similar... haven't brought that up to Mrs. Amused yet...:smt055 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, amusedtodeath said:

I received mine around 6-7 weeks ago, and was so happy! I'm still working on my skewering skills

I'm so jealous!  I wonder if they are discriminating against us non-US customers?  Harumph.  

That aside, I have bought what looks like a great book in readiness.  See if you can resist buying this: http://amzn.eu/d/ep4mKfe

• Like 2

14 hours ago, tony b said:

@tekobo - only 1 review and they panned it badly. YMMV

Here's the one that I bought when I got my little yakitori grill.

https://smile.amazon.com/Japanese-Grill-Classic-Yakitori-Vegetables/dp/158008737X/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1538677882&sr=8-3

Yeah, I also have the Japanese Grill book and it is great.  My mileage does vary though.  I do very much like the Chicken and Charcoal book and may even get around to putting a review on Amazon once I get around to trying out a recipe or two.  

Edited by tekobo

1 hour ago, tekobo said:

I do very much like the Chicken and Charcoal book and may even get around to putting a review on Amazon once I get around to trying out a recipe or two.  

I hope you do get a chance to do this. I was all set to order it but the review on the UK Amazon changed my mind. 

1 hour ago, MacKenzie said:

I hope you do get a chance to do this. I was all set to order it but the review on the UK Amazon changed my mind. 

I love reviews.  I stay in Airbnb a lot and use tripadvisor for bars and restaurants so I rely a lot on other people being honest and clear about their experiences.  The proviso is that we also have some tests.  We try to figure out how much like us (or not) the reviewer is, what else they like (that we don't) and, after all that, we decide whether we are just going to be bloody minded and find out for ourselves. 

In this case I went for the last option and am pleased with the result.  I promise to do my patriotic duty and do the review on amazon once I've cooked something.  Chicken hearts anyone?? 

• Like 1

Tekobo, to answer your question, NO. :)

I also read a lot of reviews and like you very often use that same idea - I'll try it out myself. :grin:

There weren't enough reviews on the UK site to allow me to judge and the book here  is $45 and space is limited. I'd like to see the recipes to help me decide. If 80% are fish or internal organs recipes it probably isn't going to work for me. ;) If I get 2 or 3 great recipes I'd consist it a winner. :smt060

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Haha 3

@tony b glad you had good experiences with Airbnb.  I have pretty much stopped using hotels now.  I am currently working away from home in Wales and am trying different places out.  Small dilemma comes with reviewing places honestly.  Last week I was staying in a v nicely appointed apartment but I didn't like the area at all.  The host can't do anything about the area so it seemed a bit churlish to say that I didn't like the fact that there were no chi chi coffee shops and the eggs in the shops were from "caged hens".  Felt too snobbish and middle class and so left that out.   Must get on to some product reviews as I rely on them from others but generally don't get around to leaving my feedback.

As to why I wrote my original and rather pompous treatise about how I use reviews?  Well, it stopped me writing what I really wanted to write which was: " Hey you, why are you taking more notice of a random anonymous reviewer on amazon.co.uk than of me, your reliable KK friend?"  There, I have said it.  :razz:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3