ckreef

PR Kabobs on the Konro

The reality is - - - any excuse to play with the Konro is good enough for me and this was a really tasty excuse. 

(sorry for the sort of crappy pictures) 

I took left over prime grade PR (from Christmas) and cubed it up. 

prk1.thumb.jpg.7e334512b6dd0965cdf1735297e4066f.jpg

I marinated it in A1 Steak Sauce for about an hour then loaded up on my awesome 1/4 turn skewers along with some sweet pepper pieces. 

prk2.thumb.jpg.da1bea0c3b098d41ead1369dc97e66f0.jpg

I had the Konro grill running hot so they only got 60 seconds per 1/4 turn. That gave them a little extra crust and warmed them up without cooking them too much. 

prk3.thumb.jpg.3a0dfc9ba65c01af155e967bb8f031a8.jpg

As leftovers these were really tasty and done just md. That my friends is how you do leftovers - and as a bonus I got to play with the Konro. 

prk4.thumb.jpg.1e40b8c041bd23fc8c9618d63e9f8779.jpg

• Like 7

The reality is - - - any excuse to play with the Konro is good enough for me and this was a really tasty excuse. 

(sorry for the sort of crappy pictures) 

I took left over prime grade PR (from Christmas) and cubed it up. 
prk1.thumb.jpg.7e334512b6dd0965cdf1735297e4066f.jpg

I marinated it in A1 Steak Sauce for about an hour then loaded up on my awesome 1/4 turn skewers along with some sweet pepper pieces. 
prk2.thumb.jpg.da1bea0c3b098d41ead1369dc97e66f0.jpg

I had the Konro grill running hot so they only got 60 seconds per 1/4 turn. That gave them a little extra crust and warmed them up without cooking them too much. 
prk3.thumb.jpg.3a0dfc9ba65c01af155e967bb8f031a8.jpg

As leftovers these were really tasty and done just md. That my friends is how you do leftovers - and as a bonus I got to play with the Konro. 
prk4.thumb.jpg.1e40b8c041bd23fc8c9618d63e9f8779.jpg

Looks delish mate hope you and Susan had a great Christmas

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Pequod said:

Nice! Where did you get those skewers? My wife got a Konro for Christmas and they look to be just the thing.

They are awesome skewers. They were given to me a couple of years ago. Unfortunately I believe they are no longer being made. I've tried and tried to find them online without success. 

• Sad 1

NIce cook. May have to make one of those Konro's this spring if I can come up with a feasible design that works and use up some of the refractory pieces I have stored. Anyhow the Skewers are from a manufacturer called Quirky at www.quirky.com. My wife found them for $4.00 somewhere, I don't think that'll happen again. Still sitting in the package, I can see why they are best used on a Konro. A quick and easy clean meal, and it looks nice ta boot.  Sorry to add that the site was an invention site you could buy at however my searches turned up lame. Best

DSCF2204.JPG

DSCF2205.JPG

Edited by Tyrus
photo
  • Thanks 1

Nice kebabs and even better product placement!  Thanks both - @ckreef and @Tyrus - for helping me break my new year's resolution not to buy any more STUFF.  Two packs of the skewers are on their way to me courtesy of quirky in the UK.  Added bonus - I found a good late Christmas present for my friend's son.  All good.  New year's resolutions can wait until the new year.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Went looking. Quirky site says that they've sold out of EVERYTHING!

Charles' skewers are Todd English, so went to his site and they are sold out there. But, the ones on Todd's site were over 17" long - probably too long for the yakitori, even with the clamps?? 

https://www.evine.com/Product/453-280

Guess I'll stick to bamboo for the time being! 

2 hours ago, tony b said:

Went looking. Quirky site says that they've sold out of EVERYTHING!

Charles' skewers are Todd English, so went to his site and they are sold out there. But, the ones on Todd's site were over 17" long - probably too long for the yakitori, even with the clamps?? 

https://www.evine.com/Product/453-280

Guess I'll stick to bamboo for the time being! 

Mine were the Todd English skewers. A dremel w/ cutoff wheel solved the length problem. I don't believe they are being made anymore. 

The square clamp things are what makes them 1/4 turn skewers. I have 6 skewers and 12 clamps. At some point I'll find 6 more skewers that fit properly in the clamp. Then I'll have 12 skewers each with a single clamp which will still work for 1/4 turns. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Did a check, the Quirky skewers are 17 in and SS and on the package an Ohio resident is credited for their invention.  That's amusingly funny Tekebo regarding your self control, it's ok, shouldn't break the bank.

You'll never find a SS skewer properly sized for a Konro. No worries. 10 minutes with a dremel tool w/ cutoff wheel will solve that problem. 

That's true Ckreef, fit to size. Here is something I received as a present for Christmas and although they have been out some time I found these to be of a better quality with thickness being it's interest.  I thought Tekebo may like this also but, she may have a pair already. Wouldn't suggest for the Konro since it should remain away from the open flame however the Kamodo style cooking with the controlled air flow makes it a unique. Good to have and may prove useful with a difficult cook.  15 3/4 x 13 in simple black mat are the true size as measured by hand.  Aside from the easy clean up you still get grill marks

DSCF2208.JPG

DSCF2210.JPG

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 2

On 12/29/2018 at 12:25 AM, ckreef said:

You'll never find a SS skewer properly sized for a Konro. No worries. 10 minutes with a dremel tool w/ cutoff wheel will solve that problem. 

I stand corrected. Today I found skewers properly sized for a Konro. And they should be easy to order. Will post more about this with tomorrow nights cook. 

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Here is something I received as a present for Christmas and although they have been out some time I found these to be of a better quality with thickness being it's interest.  I thought Tekebo may like this also but, she may have a pair already. Wouldn't suggest for the Konro since it should remain away from the open flame however the Kamodo style cooking with the controlled air flow makes it a unique. Good to have and may prove useful with a difficult cook.  15 3/4 x 13 in simple black mat are the true size as measured by hand.  Aside from the easy clean up you still get grill marks

They look interesting Tyrus but I am not sure when you would choose to use them.  Sticky sauce time, to keep clean up down?  Or might they reduce flare ups?

On 12/28/2018 at 9:35 PM, ckreef said:

Mine were the Todd English skewers. A dremel w/ cutoff wheel solved the length problem. I don't believe they are being made anymore. 

The square clamp things are what makes them 1/4 turn skewers. I have 6 skewers and 12 clamps. At some point I'll find 6 more skewers that fit properly in the clamp. Then I'll have 12 skewers each with a single clamp which will still work for 1/4 turns. 

I found it interesting that the Quirky folk thought that their selling point was the slider to get food off the skewers more easily.  I have never really had much trouble with that.  However, I am hoping that their slider piece might help with getting the 1/4 turn effect that you have with the Todd English.  We shall see...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tekobo said:

I found it interesting that the Quirky folk thought that their selling point was the slider to get food off the skewers more easily.  I have never really had much trouble with that.  However, I am hoping that their slider piece might help with getting the 1/4 turn effect that you have with the Todd English.  We shall see...

Yea I never understood the whole slider concept. It's trying to fix a problem that doesn't really exist. A fork works pretty good for me. 

• Like 1