Mcjudsten

First Pizza run on the 42

Went for the basics on the first pizza night on the 42.  Most of the time we do smaller pizzas so the kids can “decorate” them, they ended up looking very small  . . .   Publix bakery crust to keep it simple the first time out @ 500-550f  for 7 minutes.  

Overall it was a solid first run.  The fire ended up drifting left so one stone was 50 degrees hotter than the other, so ended up cooking everything on the right side stone.   May end up using a deflector just to keep things balanced since it is a split stone set up.    

Cheers

F78B4FF8-7EAD-44E4-8ECC-938DBF4BA2D6.jpeg

9EC48745-A38F-4A29-B68E-9C401AC1D083.jpeg

F824EE1C-DDA0-4CC2-BCFC-1325517EA9A3.jpeg

5AD2844A-3D79-4A46-A01F-3CF50BD6870F.jpeg

• Like 6

What I’ve found out about doing pizzas on the 42 is to make sure you clean out the ashes before doing them. This ensures proper flow and a good solid even burn when ignoring the center of the lump. I also prefer to use a MAP torch to ignite as I can make a chosen fire path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of MAP torch. I've been using one for many years and it works perfectly, well, Sat. when I went to light my fire. Nothing, it didn't light, no surprise I've been using the same tank of gas for years so I put a new one on and pulled the trigger and got a birthday candle size flame. Check it all over and thought guess it's time for a new one, then I took the tip off one more time and held it up to the light. Problem solved some little insect critter plugged up the blades of the diaphragm in the tip that directs the gas, with mud. Took that out with a skewer and good as new. It was amazing how little earth it took to plug it up, I'd say lot less than 1/16th of a teaspoon. It now works like a charm.

• Like 2

On 7/30/2019 at 7:40 AM, ckreef said:

Those pizzas look a little lost on that stone. With all that space why didn't you cook them all at the same time or maybe staggered them by a couple of minutes. 

That’s actually what we did (staggered) - these were just the first and the last.  Things get hectic with multiple pizzas being shuffled around - so no full stone pictures.   Maybe next time . . .  And with bigger pizzas for sure!

• Like 2