Basher

Salt Cured Sirloin

Running an experiment with 2kg of grass fed sirloin on sale at $7.99Aus/kg. That's about 4.4lb for US$9.

After cutting into 3 lumps( intending to involve the kids in adding their own preferred spices to their own lump and one spicier one for mum and dad) I added 80 grams( 4%) of himalayan rock salt to the beef, vac sealed and will put in the fridge for 4- 5 days.

This is after day 1. Plenty of moisture already dragged out of the meat.

IMG_2310.thumb.JPG.ec30b84905df37060625640af9648977.JPG

In 4 more days, this is when I will be wishing I had the cold smoker.... so will improvise with some smouldering saw dust from french oak pinot barrels.

Then plan to rub in 3 different herb mixes, wrap in a cloth, tie and hang in the cold room for another month or 2. The sirloin is only an inch thick so there is plenty of surface area to dry out.

Chillie, garlic, cumin, black pepper and Tassie Pepper Berries for me. The kids can choose on smell tests.

Any tips will be taken on board given I won't be doing much with this until the weekend.

• Like 4

After taking the sirloin out of the salt bag, it was definitely firmer. The salt only drew about 5% weight out of the meat in moisture.

Set up a cold smoke with a few apple chips and mostly french oak barrel shavings  after patting the beef dry.

IMG_2334.thumb.JPG.f0a8947dfc0e7a44cd231399f9e83cc5.JPG

A little over half an hour on smoke.

IMG_2337.thumb.JPG.2577aaa0712e3e8142fd4d3937178df8.JPG

And then selected some spices.

My son chose bay leaves, turmeric, cumin, coriander seeds and black pepper.

The cheese cloth was soaked in white vinegar and is to help hold the spices together on the meat.

IMG_2340.thumb.JPG.9763ebb34057a42fb8203a263c925666.JPG

I rubbed cayenne pepper, black pepper, pepper berries, cumin, coffee beans and dried garlic.

IMG_2341.thumb.JPG.2072d8218850ec8edc07d83bbdb51fea.JPG

And my daughter slept at a friends house last night so we will sort hers out this afternoon.

IMG_2345.thumb.JPG.abf3cf5ed66bc555b19a59a199778c7d.JPG

Looks a bit ugly, now to wait until they lose 40% of their original weight.

My daughter took great delight in loving or hating different spice smells. She went with cumin, coriander seeds, smoked paprika

Edited by Basher
  • Like 1

I didn't think the 30 minutes of cold smoke would have much effect, but man, when I opened the fridge this morning the smoke smell was delicious.

Not so strong this evening, however, pleased I didn't smoke it longer.

BTW, I have the thermostat in the cold room sitting pretty constant between 2- 4 deg C.(36- 40f) and will blow out to 6C( 43f) if the doors are opened for 30 seconds.

• Like 1

19 days into the drying phase. 24 days from curing beginning.

After the first week of drying there was no weight loss.

5 days into the week I realised my condenser tray was blocked and the moisture was staying in the cold room rather than being taken away. This was creating a more humid environment than usual.

Weighed this morning and noticed even when I picked up the pieces that the cheese cloth was very dry and the meat was firmer.

Weight has dropped from 2 kg's down to 1.84 kg's.- close to 10%. and more importantly, no signs of mould or bacteria smells nutty, herby,and slightly smokey.

At this rate I'd guess it'll be closer to 2 months drying in the cold room. Target weight is 1.2 kg.

• Like 2

Hi @Basher.  I had similar happen to me when our wine fridge broke down and I didn't notice.  Ruined the goose legs that I had curing.  We had some monitors called "sensor push" that you place in your cool room and you get alerts on your phone if your set parameters are exceeded.  The only problem was that the sensor didn't work through the walls of the wine fridge and the room it was in.  The sensors do work in our replacement dry ager and having reports on temp and humidity levels gives us peace of mind.  

Anyway, it sounds like you rescued these in good time.  Looking forward to the results.  

Tell me about it Tyrus, it’s taking forever!

I started some eye fillet ends where the steak cuts thin out about 3 weeks after the sirloin and snuck an inch off the bottom yesterday. It was gooood, so tender and flavour was great.

I used a slightly different method where I added all the spice mixes with the original wet brine, rinsed it after 5 days, tied and hung with no cheese cloth( hence it was too easy to pinch an inch).

The spices had penetrated well and were very subtle. The meat was sweet, almost creamy texture.

I can imagine how it will evolve over the next few weeks.

Oh, and that’s sliver of freshish bay leaf on top for the eagle eyed- that’s you Tyrus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

91378c384ac9759099ee28f33c76309a.jpg

• Like 2