Hogsfan

Hi...I'm hogsfan

So, Hogsfan, exactly what have you planned for the initial cook after the burn in?

You know you can always sear off some great ribeyes or NY strips after that burn in, right?

Looking forward to seeing this. What a gorgeous KK! That blue is something else!

I just now received the owners manual with the instructions for the burn in. I had been waiting for that so I hadn't really thought about what to cook first.  

My folks are in town and my dad wants to cook hot dogs. He can't resist the humor of cooking the cheapest cut of meat on the worlds nicest charcoal grill. lol. 

Hey, I've done Tube Steak many times on both Beauty! & TheBeast. There are few things better than a good old chili dog!

At many of my parties where kids attend, I use Beauty! for kids duty. She's quite well behaved and the kids cook their own hot dogs and burgers under adult supervision. They just love manning the tongs!

Hogsfan - I love your Dad's sense of humor! He sounds like quite a guy. Enjoy that Tube Steak cook! :lol:

• Like 1

My dear Mom boiled dogs. She liked 'em that way and until I got old enough to be trusted with the Weber Kettle, when Dad wasn't home we ate boiled hot dogs. I hate boiled dogs. Give me a grilled dog every single time!

Funny story. When my son was about 4 years old, he only wanted to eat hot dogs. Breakfast. Lunch. Dinner. Snacks. That was it, hot dogs. And the dogs were boiled! I decided him eating nothing but hot dogs was going to end. So Joe is sitting there at the table, packing back the hot dogs. Joes stabs another piece of hot dog and I ask "Hey Joe! You know what hot dogs are made from?" Joe shakes his head no. I tell him "They're made from assholes and eyeballs!". Joes fork hit the plate and he has never had another hot dog!

• Like 1

Reef sheepishly raises his hand - LOL

I agree redstick..my mom boil them too but much perfer tbem on the grill.even pan frying them are better than boiled and CC that was so wrong....lol..all im going to say..lol..i love them but ckreef and son dont eat them so I do without..I guess not a bad thing but I do buy a corn dog at a store when I am working sometimes..love the corn breading and got to have mustard with it..but I only get them only in a blue moon.

Hot dogs are MUCH better grilled in my opinion.

It's quite a lengthy process to fire up a Kamado for just a few dogs, but worth every second.

Just my opinion.

My dear Mom boiled dogs. She liked 'em that way and until I got old enough to be trusted with the Weber Kettle, when Dad wasn't home we ate boiled hot dogs. I hate boiled dogs. Give me a grilled dog every single time!

Funny story. When my son was about 4 years old, he only wanted to eat hot dogs. Breakfast. Lunch. Dinner. Snacks. That was it, hot dogs. And the dogs were boiled! I decided him eating nothing but hot dogs was going to end. So Joe is sitting there at the table, packing back the hot dogs. Joes stabs another piece of hot dog and I ask "Hey Joe! You know what hot dogs are made from?" Joe shakes his head no. I tell him "They're made from assholes and eyeballs!". Joes fork hit the plate and he has never had another hot dog!

Learned this technique to grilling dogs and like the way that they come out. Run a wooden skewer down the center of the dog all the way through. Now lay the dog on your cutting board. Take a sharp knife and holding it steady at a 45 degree angle to the skewer (OK, you don't have to be that precise, but hey, I'm an engineer!), cut into the dog about 1/2" from one end until you hit the wooden skewer. Then roll the dog under the knife, so you are making a nice spiral cut into the dog. Remove the skewer and now your hot dog should look like a Slinky. This provides lots of surface area to crisp up on the grill and for holding condiments and/or chili. 

OK, one picture (or video in this case) is worth a thousand words -