Jon B.

KK Rookie Question

I have to do another Boston Butt cook next week for a Christmas party.  On my last cook, I overstuffed the charcoal basket.  After seeing how much lump was left over, I will not make that mistake over again.  

That first overnight cook did get me wondering................have any of you KK owners ever had the buildup of ash choke out the fire on a long cook??

I have had that issue in the past when using my brand X ceramic cookers and have had to resort to a "wiggle rod" to knock the ash off the coals to keep the fire hot.

Was just wondering if that was something I needed to worry about with the KK.  I did notice a "hole" in the middle of my lump after the first cook but I did not experience any drop in temp over the 13.5 hour cook.

Thanks in advance for your KK wisdom!!!

Jon B. 

Jon check out the ash experiment thread I posted. One of the last cooks I did was a Low-n-slow. The 19" has a huge amount of space to hold ash so you won't have a problem down below. Because of the lump basket design you won't have issues with clogging in there either. A basket or grate to hold lump is a far superior setup (for not clogging) compared to a plate with holes.

I noticed Cassiopeia likes burn right to left. If I'm doing a Low-n-slow I'll start the fire on the very right side of the lump basket. Fill the lump basket all the way up to the handles and don't worry about it. I have yet to run out and I've done some really long multiple cook/temp sessions.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

The hole is from the fact that your fire burned towards the airflow. As long as there's fuel in line with the air, that's the direction it will go, but it will deviate in order to get to fuel. This is also where quality lump comes into play, in that better lump burns more completely leaving less residue, (ash). If you're concerned, do as ckreef did in his demonstration and sweep the ash to the sides and rear, ensuring unobstructed airflow.

These grills are the epitome of efficiency, I don't believe two lo/slos will be an issue. Are you aware of the instance where a 23 KK, went over 80 hrs at 235° on one load of cocochar?

Rob

I don't believe two lo/slos will be an issue. Are you aware of the instance where a 23 KK, went over 80 hrs at 235° on one load of cocochar?

Rob

Thanks for the feed back (everyone).  Agree on the quality of the lump!  

Yes....I did hear about the 80 hrs........................but I thought it was just an "urban legend" until I joined this forum.  Cooking with cocochar next cook!!   

Be careful with the thinking that you 'overstuffed' your lump basket.  Unless you really packed it in there tight by hand, you can't really over pack it.  In fact, you should always start with a full basket so that your airflow is more consistent from start to finish.  I don't have access to very good lump here in Singapore.  For low and slow, I used KK Coco extruded, adding in chunks of smoke wood depending on cook.  For high temp, I use a mangrove charcoal used by Japanese BBQ restaurants.  But I did use lump when I lived in the USA and can't ever recall having used too much lump.

If you have lump left after your cook, just shut it down and reuse the leftovers next time (just gently shake the basket and get rid of the really small stuff and ash that may block airflow in the next cook).

I recently forgot to shut down a low and slow cook and she was still burning 36 hours later.  I was upset with myself for wasting the Coco Char.

If you use Coco char do not stir the leftover with your hands. It becomes very brittle after an initial cook. There will be plenty left and it's still a viable fuel source but if you stir with your hands you'll loose a lot down into the bottom of your KK.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

Jon - I can't remember how big a KK you are using, but I guarantee you that the volume below that charcoal basket can more than accommodate the volume of ash, even if you burn the entire basket during the cook! And even if you use KINGSFORD Blue Bag briquettes! I've done back-to-back-to-back low-n-slow cooks on TheBeast and never though about cleaning out the ash. I just merely swept it into a pile in the corner.

As Cookie says above, always fill the charcoal basket. I usually take mine to just under the level of basket handles. To knock off the ash on used charcoal, just grab the charcoal basket handles and give it a couple of shakes. Then I just dump, yes, dump new lump in and level it off. DON'T shake the basket if you're using KK Extruded Coconut Char … it'll sinter. Just relight and get after it.

Think of charcoal as gasoline and your basket as a gas tank. It's impossible to have so much fuel that you choke the engine when you're cooking on your KK. I always fill my fire basket before every cook but a sear. No matter how many years I've been buring lump, I can't figure out how much lump for how long a cook. I'm wrong every time. I just fill 'er up every time. It surely beats have pull apart a hot kamado and add lump and then get everything back to stabilized cooking.

Enjoy!