Pequod

How Many, What Size, Where/How to Deploy?

I'm ready to embrace the dark side and follow Sith Lord Bosco's evil example. Wife is more frugal (a rare beast) and is only halfway there. She's in on a 23 or 32, possibly with cabinet. She tends to be a bit more aesthetically challenged, and so the desire for matching KK's eludes her. She *usually* comes around, but might need a Jedi mind trick.

My wife too thought that I was crazy until she realized the savings in shipping all at once.  She said that if you are going to do it anyways may as well save where you can.  

May wife didn't get it.  She came home from work one day and they were in the yard and she was amazed with how they looked.  I never heard another word again and I have since heard her talking about them to friends when they come over to the house. 

I promise you this.... You will never invest in another cooker again   For that your misses should be just fine giving you the green light 

Yeah, that's the argument I'm hoping will win the day. Told her every other cooker we've owned needs replacing every 10 years (if not sooner). Better value in the end. Sometimes takes her a bit to process, but she should get there.

Good idea! Wife's a Trekkie. Might actually work. :)

I'll give her a few more days to cogitate. If she doesn't get there, Plan B will be the incremental, non-matching bosco. Take the 32 now, then add a non-matching 23 in a complementary color and cabinet later. 

I don't have a major OCD issue so I don't see the problem with plan B. In some respects I wish I would have bought clashing KK's - would have made life a little more interesting. Even if you want matching KK's you don't have to buy them at the same time as long as they are an in stock available tile/pebble - the difference will be close enough and Dennis showed me 4 different 19"s to come up with a match for the 16.5".

My only suggestion is buy the smaller one first or you may never get a second one.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ckreef said:

I don't have a major OCD issue so I don't see the problem with plan B. In some respects I wish I would have bought clashing KK's - would have made life a little more interesting. Even if you want matching KK's you don't have to buy them at the same time as long as they are an in stock available tile/pebble - the difference will be close enough and Dennis showed me 4 different 19"s to come up with a match for the 16.5".

My only suggestion is buy the smaller one first or you may never get a second one.

That's a real good point on the smaller one first.  Was thinking the same and for the same reason. Strategic. Like chess. Three moves ahead. B)

That's a real good point on the smaller one first.  Was thinking the same and for the same reason. Strategic. Like chess. Three moves ahead. B)

If I would have bought my 19" first I would have never bought the 16.5". I would have just been creative and made everything work on the 19".

By getting the 16.5" first, I needed just a little more space and Mrs skreef knew it. Mrs skreef was full on board at that point, it was half her suggestion to go ahead and get the 19"

Got to think of the end game.

So I have been intrigued with this topic. I have a 21" now renamed a 22" I think.
My thoughts on a second KK are leaning to the exact opposite in size direction. In my daily use, I am thinking a smaller setup may be the ticket. I love the 21" to be sure, but find I only use it about every 2nd or 3rd weekend when I have time to tend a smoke, and frankly we don't eat through the food fast enough to have it used more often. Usually there is just the two of us.

On a second note regarding convenience, because of the shear size of the excellent quality parts, and I have a bunch,  my OCD requires post cook cleaning and to be frank, it is a PITA, especially when I am tired and need to get up early the next day. The size of the grates and other pieces are difficult to fit in the sinks for just a quick cleanup.

I am also mindful of char consumption, not to say this beauty isn't the most efficient of anything I have the had pre-KK, but for very small grill cooks, I find I use a bit though, so a small form factor might be a tad more efficient for just grilling.

SO... all that said, I am thinking about the smallest of KK's, for just a quick grilling of a burger or piece of fish for the daily dinner on a spur of the moment decision.
I would love to hear that side of the collection experience from you gurus.

BTW, have also heard the wife speaking to her friends about the KK, which is great since she thought I was out of my mind for the expense. She now loves it.

--

Rick

• Like 1

Coloradorick, the 21 is now the 22.  Some people like ckreef swear by the 16.  I had a small joe jr. and it was good but didn't work out for me in the long run.  I think the smallest that I would go with the KK would be a 19.  

Like I said though ckreef dominates cooks in his 16 and uses it often.  

Mare you planning on selling the 22 or  keeping that and adding the 16?   I think as long as you have the larger one you really can't go wrong with the 16

• Like 1