MacKenzie

Mac & Cheese Bake

Thanks everyone.:) 

Aussie I was just winging it yesterday and didn't follow a recipe.

I just threw in some peppers as I have lots and need to use them up, also added some precooked onions, aged cheddar cheese.

Here is my "go to recipe for Mac&Cheese. It is very very tasty.

Mac & Cheese – my go to version

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/macaroni-and-cheese-51218810?mbid=nl_fig_09282015_Daily&CNDID=28466820

Makes 4 generous servings.

·         3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more to grease the baking dish

• 1/2 C panko bread crumbs

• 12 ounces grated cheese, 9 ozs. Armstrong 2 year old Cheddar (Canadian Cheese), 3 ozs. Collier’s Powerful Welsh Cheddar Cheese(about 9 cups total)

• A handful of Bradbury’s Red Hot Mex cheese (British brand)

• 1/2 pound elbow macaroni

• 1 3/8 C whole milk (I used 2%)

• 1.5T all-purpose flour

• 3/4 teaspoons dry mustard

• 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt

• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly butter a baking dish. Slightly higher in the grill.

Melt 1.5T of the butter. Drizzle the bread crumbs with the melted butter, and toss to combine. Add a handful of grated cheese toss to combine, and set aside.

Cook the elbow macaroni in salted water until al dente. Drain, without rinsing, then return them to the pot they were cooked in.

Warm the milk just until it starts to steam and form tiny bubbles around its edges—be careful not to let the milk come to a boil. Remove from the heat. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan over moderate heat, melt the remaining 1.5T of butter. Add the flour and stir the mixture together, scraping the bottom of the pan to prevent burning, just until it starts to turn a light brown color, about 3 minutes. Slowly add the warm milk and stir constantly until the sauce thickens, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the dry mustard, salt, and pepper. Add the remaining grated cheese and stir until it's completely melted. Adjust the seasoning to taste. Pour the cheese sauce over the cooked elbow macaroni and gently stir to coat the noodles in the sauce. Sprinkle some cayenne pepper into the mix. J

Pour the macaroni and cheese into the prepared baking dish and top with the panko-cheese mixture. Bake until light golden brown and bubbling, about 30 minutes. Serve hot.

Macaroni and cheese can be made ahead, put into the baking dish and cover, refrigerator for up to 2 days. Do not add the bread crumbs until ready to bake.  

Chilled Mac& Cheese will take longer than 30 minutes to cook.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.:) 
Aussie I was just winging it yesterday and didn't follow a recipe.
I just threw in some peppers as I have lots and need to use them up, also added some precooked onions, aged cheddar cheese.
Here is my "go to recipe for Mac&Cheese. It is very very tasty.

Mac & Cheese – my go to version

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/macaroni-and-cheese-51218810?mbid=nl_fig_09282015_Daily&CNDID=28466820

Makes 4 generous servings.

·         3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more to grease the baking dish

• 1/2 C panko bread crumbs
  • 12 ounces grated cheese, 9 ozs. Armstrong 2 year old Cheddar (Canadian Cheese), 3 ozs. Collier’s Powerful Welsh Cheddar Cheese(about 9 cups total)
  • A handful of Bradbury’s Red Hot Mex cheese (British brand)
  • 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
  • 1 3/8 C whole milk (I used 2%)
  • 1.5T all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoons dry mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly butter a baking dish. Slightly higher in the grill.

Melt 1.5T of the butter. Drizzle the bread crumbs with the melted butter, and toss to combine. Add a handful of grated cheese toss to combine, and set aside.

Cook the elbow macaroni in salted water until al dente. Drain, without rinsing, then return them to the pot they were cooked in.

Warm the milk just until it starts to steam and form tiny bubbles around its edges—be careful not to let the milk come to a boil. Remove from the heat. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan over moderate heat, melt the remaining 1.5T of butter. Add the flour and stir the mixture together, scraping the bottom of the pan to prevent burning, just until it starts to turn a light brown color, about 3 minutes. Slowly add the warm milk and stir constantly until the sauce thickens, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the dry mustard, salt, and pepper. Add the remaining grated cheese and stir until it's completely melted. Adjust the seasoning to taste. Pour the cheese sauce over the cooked elbow macaroni and gently stir to coat the noodles in the sauce. Sprinkle some cayenne pepper into the mix. J

Pour the macaroni and cheese into the prepared baking dish and top with the panko-cheese mixture. Bake until light golden brown and bubbling, about 30 minutes. Serve hot.

Macaroni and cheese can be made ahead, put into the baking dish and cover, refrigerator for up to 2 days. Do not add the bread crumbs until ready to bake.  

Chilled Mac& Cheese will take longer than 30 minutes to cook.

Cheers for that will be giving it a go for sure

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill