Troble

Hello From San Diego......

I am honestly blown away right now. I just did a reverse sear fillet mignon that was without a doubt the best steak I’ve ever cooked in my life. I grilled some asparagus and whipped up some chimichuri with some roasted red potatoes. I am utterly blown away at how perfect the steak turned out. It wasnt the cook that’s for sure. It was the magic of the KK 

7F6F2729-BB62-49AD-AB19-74F897946BF1.jpeg

DA0C84F9-0584-4FB3-A144-C56BA389849E.jpeg

7980E339-1046-4FF8-8275-E367C2BF6B03.jpeg

079C029D-426A-4EF4-8180-4FD3A311F124.jpeg

• Like 9

@Basher I don’t think it was the piece of meat. I had my eye on two other ones but as the guy was packing my ground meat the dude next to me grabbed the two cuts I was eyeing and I had to “settle” for these 

think it was just due to the fact I’ve never done a reverse sear and I got lucky on my first cook with timing. I didn’t use a meat probe. Just look and finger test. But the juiciness and tenderness of the meat was just perfect 

Its always tough cooking steak in my house because I like mine medium/pink but the wife likes hers overcooked (no pink). I managed to get mine cooked perfect to my liking but found this mythical spot for the wife where it’s not overcooked, still slightly pink but not “undercooked” in the wife’s eye.

however to be clear my comment about the steak was only in reference to the taste and tenderness of mine.

Edited by Troble
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

[mention=3378]Basher[/mention] 
Its always tough cooking steak in my house because I like mine medium/pink but the wife likes hers overcooked (no pink)

Exactly what happens in our house Troble.
I struggle to overcook a steak. It kills me watching it burn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Basher said:

@Basher I’ve actually been thinking about this quite a bit today. My wife woke up talking g about how great the meal was. Usually when we eat beef it’s brisket. Occasionally I cook a flat iron or tri tip and tact allows the wife to eat the ends which are more overcooked then what I like in the middle. So partly it just eating filet. I don’t grill filet anymore like maybe I used to before kids. But the reverse sear and I think the power of the KK was what did it 

tonight I’m taking my rotisserie for it’s first spin. I can’t wait 

• Like 2

What are you rotating Troble?
I love the rotisserie.
Heres a tip, set the lower rack flipped over onto its higher setting above the coals.
Build up your heat, When you start cooking, about 20- 30 minutes into the cook you will start to smell the meat and see a little more steam and smoke Coming out of the KK.
When this happens, insert a tray onto the lower grill to stop the oils dropping into the fire.
I’m sure you will work this out.
Yum yum

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Basher said:

Toss me into this group also. I like mine rare enough to be on the endangered species list while she wants hers dead.

• Like 3

@Basher thanks for the tip I will have to try that next time. I did not read that prior to the cook. 

overall it went well however I had the right side of the coals burning much hotter and faster than the left which resulted in me needing to take off one bird earlier than the other. I need to work on a more even and consistent fire in the future, When I did remove one bird and moved the 2nd bird over in the cradle I didn’t secure it as tight as before so it moved around a bit and some of the skin got scraped but all good

i was really amazed at the difference in  taste between the rotisserie cook and traditional roasting method. Also the skin on the rotisserie chicken was nothing short of luxurious. 

F9EDD035-63FE-4BC3-9320-67F95B90F4C2.jpeg

63BDE0F0-B259-4384-BDBD-4DD834D8DF5B.jpeg

Edited by Troble
  • Like 8

[mention=3378]Basher[/mention] thanks for the tip I will have to try that next time. I did not read that prior to the cook. 

overall it went well however I had the right side of the coals burning much hotter and faster than the left which resulted in me needing to take off one bird earlier than the other. I need to work on a more even and consistent fire in the future, When I did remove one bird and moved the 2nd bird over in the cradle I didn’t secure it as tight as before so it moved around a bit and some of the skin got scraped but all good
i was really amazed at the difference in dis if between the rotisserie cook and traditional roasting method. Also the skin on the rotisserie chicken was nothing short of luxurious. 
F9EDD035-63FE-4BC3-9320-67F95B90F4C2.thumb.jpeg.fcbc4ec6e5787b07f2f13015b6ec3267.jpeg
63BDE0F0-B259-4384-BDBD-4DD834D8DF5B.thumb.jpeg.f68c21f92d519660aba4e884b99ea9f5.jpeg

The only damage I see done is a broken wing.
That’s a marathon if you have to adjust through the cook with the rotisserie.
Well done. Both birds look perfect.
Let us know how you think the pan trick works by comparison.

• Thanks 1

@Basher will definitely try that next time going to do some more adventurous Peruvian sliced chicken this week and I’m also itching to try the leg of lamb. I dong coo a lot of lamb ex dog ground land for Shepard’s lie and every since you posted that rotisserie leg of lamb a few months ago it’s been on my brain 

• Like 1

Troble, I have a set of pliers in my ODK for the sole purpose of tightening those rotisserie wing nuts or whatever they are called. :) BTW that is another of your mouth watering cooks. :smt055

Now that I've seen the video, here is a suggestion for you to think about- what if you lit the centre only and put the two chickens with their legs facing each other in the centre. That way I think the breasts might be cooked at the same time the thighs are cooked and the breast would be protected from the hottest part of the fire. 

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@MacKenzie thanks for the tip I’ll definitely try that. I lit in the center but as you can see from the video the right burnt much hotter and faster. I think I’ll try lighting the right and left side next time and see how that with as well as trying your and badgers tips. It’s a fun time to experiment!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

Trouble, you are making me hungry. Fantastic.emoji4.pngemoji4.pngemoji4.pngemoji4.png

Thank you for all your advice. I have definitely decided to ditch this stupid sourdough starter I’ve been keeping and go all in on your NY crust recipe. While it wasn’t perfect this week it was damn good and 200% better than my initial attempt. A few more cooks and I should have it down. Your help has been immense and my girls thank you 

• Like 2

Outdoor lights were installed today. Construction is officially done. Still have to install patio lighting and outdoor furniture but close to done and functional 

celebrated with some vino and took my iPhone out for a spin. Got some cool shots 

C7C92A08-137D-41B2-94CE-2B8225FC3E65.jpeg

E218005F-9DF2-41C9-A74F-8FE416ECAABC.jpeg

57FF9CBB-3896-46DD-8C95-0A57D3017818.jpeg

BB1488D0-D854-4EFA-B713-A93876807561.jpeg

E35F3BE8-6DC6-49E5-B228-0D774F07CDC9.jpeg

D278A8AF-9C7F-457C-9398-24A0A7B3804F.jpeg

AC30BCF7-32CC-4EA9-9D34-AB695174F839.jpeg

B40FC707-B997-454A-8B49-86F16449F154.jpeg

8D68CE0D-DB4A-4418-BFAF-6523FFA7772D.jpeg

Edited by Troble
  • Like 6