tekobo

KK Bread Making Tips and Tricks

Yesterday was market day at Woodson’s Mill, a still functioning 18th century water powered mill here in central VA. Deep Roots Milling mills regional grains once a month and then sells their flours the following weekend. 

IMG_0647.thumb.jpeg.5d65f87d10f3e9e0fb0cd473b9ef5f29.jpeg

So I hauled my sorry keister down there to bag me some flour. This loaf is 70% Deep Roots Silver Bread Flour (80% extraction) + home milled yecora rojo (15%), spelt (10%) and rye (5%). 80% hydration. 

IMG_0651.thumb.jpeg.26e3138916d35a742a8f1a27cf766a47.jpeg

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Pequod said:

Yesterday was market day at Woodson’s Mill, a still functioning 18th century water powered mill here in central VA. Deep Roots Milling mills regional grains once a month and then sells their flours the following weekend. 

IMG_0647.thumb.jpeg.5d65f87d10f3e9e0fb0cd473b9ef5f29.jpeg

So I hauled my sorry keister down there to bag me some flour. This loaf is 70% Deep Roots Silver Bread Flour (80% extraction) + home milled yecora rojo (15%), spelt (10%) and rye (5%). 80% hydration. 

IMG_0651.thumb.jpeg.26e3138916d35a742a8f1a27cf766a47.jpeg

So cool that the mill is still operational. 

3 hours ago, tekobo said:

Beautiful baguettes @David Chang.  My favourite. What do you do with them with you have them in quantities such as this?  Freeze?  Gift?  Gorge?  I vote for gorging.  

gave most away to the office. next time i will try to park bake and see how they taste after frozen and finished baking..

• Like 3

Desem with 100% Deep Roots Milling Silver AP flour, which is 80% extraction Nueast hard red wheat. Nueast is regional, suited for our mid-Atlantic/southern climate, and also used by Carolina Ground. Nueast has a distinctly nutty flavor. 

IMG_0703.JPG

IMG_0700.JPG

• Like 5