ckreef

Flame Kissed Tri-tip

Flame Kissed Tri-tip with homemade slaw and some onion potatoes. In these trying times you might not have all the ingredients you want. Improvisation is the key to an awesome meal. It was a gorgeous day. 

After the forward sear I slide the grate over to the side and inserted a temperature probe. About 30 minutes later I pulled it with a IT of 130*.

fkttlow.thumb.jpg.1e5bb0c7a113f7e85aa734a10ad9d44f.jpg

fkttmoney.thumb.jpg.19b0c9967519139b65acbfface1ff7e9.jpg

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

WOW! Charles that video was wonderful and your meal looks so delicious! Nice cook and not bad for camping out  lol

TY Bruce. It turned into a gorgeous day and it had been a while since I cooked on the Nuke Delta grill. 

• Like 1

Yay.  Great cook.  I took your advice about using wood on the Argentinian barbecue and I have just ordered a load of logs - small and large - to try out the concept.  The Husband was telling me that the Argentinians light up the wood in the morning for cooking on embers in the afternoon.  Is that the sort of timeline that you work to or do you have a cheat that I can also use? 

• Like 1

Morning to afternoon is a bit long, that's probably for really big grills. From lighting that stack to doing the sear took about 45 minutes. If I wanted just embers I would have done a little bigger stack and it would have taken 75-90 minutes. Really depends on your wood and how big of a stack you built. 

I only use wood, never lump. 

Here is the stack. I actually added one more piece of wood to it before firing it up. 

ttstack.thumb.jpg.071e7b81e0b80ac4db3e937d414abe71.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @ckreef.  Good to see how you set up the wood stack inside the grill.  Up to now, my focus has been on getting as much coal as hot as possible as fast as possible so that I can get on with cooking.  It will be fun to slow down, build a wood fire, wait for it to burn down and then start cooking.  An Argentinian BBQ book that we have talks about wine and salads filling the time before the meat is ready.  That may be why they take so much time to set up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have you tried the reverse fire starting technique?
Ckreef with your love for fire I’d be surprised if you were not across this.

http://thehelpfulengineer.com/index.php/2011/02/make-your-fire-last-longer-light-it-upside-down/
I started doing this a few years ago and it makes an amazing fire that needs very little to no maintenance for a few hours.
Haven’t tried it for a cooking fire. Most cooks want just the embers with no flame.
This fire definitely has less smoke as it’s burnt off through the flame, so, maybe it does make for a good cooking fire?
Give it a go and let me know your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Basher said:

Have you tried the reverse fire starting technique?
Ckreef with your love for fire I’d be surprised if you were not across this.

http://thehelpfulengineer.com/index.php/2011/02/make-your-fire-last-longer-light-it-upside-down/
I started doing this a few years ago and it makes an amazing fire that needs very little to no maintenance for a few hours.
Haven’t tried it for a cooking fire. Most cooks want just the embers with no flame.
This fire definitely has less smoke as it’s burnt off through the flame, so, maybe it does make for a good cooking fire?
Give it a go and let me know your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting indeed. Will give that a try. 

• Like 2