tekobo

Look no further for your Christmas present wish list!

9 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

Could this be tekobo's ship arriving with her Xmas stash of KKs?

See the source image

Ha.  New sofa arrived from Italy on Thursday so that has kept us occupied and distracted me from waiting for KK angst.  The ship has been hanging around at sea, not far from the port for days and was predicted to dock at 9am tomorrow morning.  This morning the ETA at dock suddenly changed to 8 December. Oh well, the KKs almost certainly won't make it through customs and to me this coming week.  Fingers crossed for the week after.  COVID, Christmas and Customs.  What could go wrong???

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Chocolate from these folk is truly delicious:https://pumpstreetchocolate.com

I found them because of their sourdough and sea salt chocolate but have also enjoyed the rye crumb (tastes like a posh Crunchie) and The Husband loves the Eccles (a posh dairy milk with raisins in).  I am not a fan of chocolate bars but I love these.  One for the stocking perhaps?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tekobo said:

Chocolate from these folk is truly delicious:https://pumpstreetchocolate.com

I found them because of their sourdough and sea salt chocolate but have also enjoyed the rye crumb (tastes like a posh Crunchie) and The Husband loves the Eccles (a posh dairy milk with raisins in).  I am not a fan of chocolate bars but I love these.  One for the stocking perhaps?

Not far from us as it happens. About 30 mins. Approve of both of those choices. They do a library book that you should try - it's a bar of one of each of everything. 

Also worth trying is Fudge Kitchen. Their Dark Chocolate and Sea Salt is more like ganache than fudge. It's wonderful stuff. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Braai-Q said:

Not far from us as it happens. About 30 mins. Approve of both of those choices

The reason I found them was the fact that Fergus Henderson uses their chocolate in his ice cream recipe. Going to try that out soon.  In search of that perfect dark chocolate ice cream flavour that you get in Italy.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tekobo said:

The reason I found them was the fact that Fergus Henderson uses their chocolate in his ice cream recipe. Going to try that out soon.  In search of that perfect dark chocolate ice cream flavour that you get in Italy.  

If you're after chocolate recipes, I don't know if you know David Lebovitz (ex Chez Panisse), now in Paris. His book 'The Perfect Scoop' is probably my favourite ice cream book. I feel that knowing you like Amaro, you might like this: https://www.davidlebovitz.com/amaro-recipe-chip-stracciatella-milk-chocolate-chip-ice-cream/

My intention is to make this in the next few weeks: https://www.davidlebovitz.com/recipe-candy-chocolate-marshmallows/#more-48688

If you're after good quality chocolate, I'd recommend Callebaut. They do two versions of their dark, a 54% solids and a 70%. I think the 70% is a specific recipe application and would be good for the ice cream you want. I much prefer the 54% or the milk chocolate that they do. Here's a link: https://www.souschef.co.uk/products/plain-chocolate-couverture-5555

Edited by Braai-Q
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Basher said:

Does anyone have one of these?
e2dba491128642ba7b45ef2eb76cfd75.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's funny you should post this, I've been looking at these. They're spiritually linked to my bench grinder that I use for putting an edge on garden tools and sharpening mower blades. What's made me hesitant is that under power, small mistakes can become big ones quite quickly. I have expensive knives that I would be gutted if I damaged. 

I'm out of practice on a whetstone so generally use a Lansky to keep a consistent angle of attack on the blades but it can be a little fiddly but probably no more than getting a power tool out. 

If you get your hands on one or anyone else has any comments, be good to learn of your experiences. I know that @DennisLinkletteris a knife guy as well so he might have some thoughts. 

• Like 1

I have the Ken onion version of the worksharp, it has adjustable sharpening angles. It does a good job, better than any other machine type sharpener. I won’t use it on my really good knives, but understand that I’m into extremely high end Japanese kitchen knives. For my good stuff I use a Russian device called a TS Prof.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 5698k said:

For my good stuff I use a Russian device called a TS Prof.

Hi @5698k I have a set of Japanese whetstones, diamond hones etc but I have a problem with my right shoulder rotator cuff that really dislikes the repetitive action of hand sharpening and maintaining the angle, pressure etc. Which model do you have (I had a look at the website and there are two models and various sets).

I have the KO3, plus I already had shapton glass stones for an edge pro. It’s incredibly precise, and super easy to get a crazy edge on your knives. I haven’t personally seen a blitz system, but I believe it’s limited to knives 200mm or less, most of my knives have are 240mm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2