Roger

Cooking pizza

7 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

No, you do not need to use the heat deflector, put it into storage, most of us never ever use it. It will take a lot longer to heat up your KK and burn up a lot of charcoal in the process. Have fun with the pizza. :)

I have been wondering but no more i have not even unwrapped mine yet :)

• Like 1

Text expander/ canned heat deflector info:

I've learned it's easier to give people what they want than to educate them.  I supply them because people coming from the glazed-pot Kamado world think they're very important.  The glazed-pot Kamado's lose heat through their walls and having more thermal mass inside the grill helps reduce temperature drops when the ambient temperature changes.  Because KK's are so well insulated, this is not a factor. 

That being said I have not use the heat deflector in one of my grills for probably 10 years.  I'm confident that using foil to create your indirect area then putting your drip pan on top of the foil on the lowest grate gives you a much better performance.. i.e. less airflow, less evaporation, and more retained moisture in your meat.

https://komodokamadoforum.com/topic/10026-heat-deflectors-in-the-kk/?tab=comments#comment-121321

• Like 6