Troble

Non KK cooks

12 hours ago, Tyrus said:

You know what you need Jeef, it's a good wood box. Where'd you find that cool lookin bell, that's awesome? the chicken too

My folks got one of those bells for each of their 4 children during their travels after my dad retired. It's been over 25 years but I think they got them on one of their week-long drives in the mountains of NC, VA, and TN - maybe Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge in Tennessee. I need to move it to a bit more accessible location - maybe by the steps down to the pool.

• Like 1

Yesterday it was Tuscan style ribs spun on the rotisserie and basted with a balamic herb infused sauce. It was more of a curiousity than a cook and having not used the Santa Maria in a while I wanted to approach it differently, hence the spinning technique. Something also can be said for the entertainment you get from the flames and the primal feeling one gets from cooking over a flame. It's kind of  like taking a long trip and finally, but happily reaching your destination and realizing the ride itself was all the fun.  Anyhow they came out well, one thing I would do as an alternative is to let them marinate over night and see the contrast. They did flop around some in the beginning, but as some time passed they stiffened up and all was a pleasant sail from there.

DSCF4149.JPG

DSCF4150.JPG

DSCF4151.JPG

DSCF4152.JPG

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 9

12 hours ago, David Chang said:

the fries tastes like they came out of a restaurant..

Like chocolate is to dessert, tallow is to potatoes....truly decadent, what no ketchup??                                         I also remember when I was in a restaurant we used lard in the fryolator. It came in large cardboard square boxes wrapped in a plastic bag. The owner insisted on using lard because of taste and higher burn/smoke point, if it taste better, the customers will notice and return. My grandmother preferred lard to butter on her bread, that's old school, old country.

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Like chocolate is to dessert, tallow is to potatoes....truly decadent, what no ketchup??                                         I also remember when I was in a restaurant we used lard in the fryolator. It came in large cardboard square boxes wrapped in a plastic bag. The owner insisted on using lard because of taste and higher burn/smoke point, if it taste better, the customers will notice and return. My grandmother preferred lard to butter on her bread, that's old school, old country.

yeah, no ketchup, just salt. i find ketchup has too much sugar. i reckon fries in fries fried in chicken fat would be outstanding..

17 hours ago, David Chang said:

i find ketchup has too much sugar

I agree. I'm in the mayo/aioli camp for fries. There are some commercial ketchups that aren't overly sweet (Trader Joe's Organic or Sir Kensington (is a bit high on the salt though), or just whip up you own. 

• Like 2

This is a relatively simple dish took cook. I tried to recreate this from a dish my wife ordered in Aguas Calirnte, which is the town at the base of Manchu Pichu

i took

a chicken breast and rubbed salt, garlic powder and cumin on it. Then sliced the side and inserted goat cheese. I let the rub settle in for about an hour then put in fridge for another couple hours before cooking

made some tricolor quinoa, let it cool down or even get cold. Then took eggs and mixed them in a bowl and prepared a bowl of flour.next to it took the quinoa and spread it on a plate 

took out chicken and dipped in flour first, then soaked in egg, then pressed on the quinoa, when I flip the chicken over to press the other side in the quinoa I use my hands to make sure I cover the entire breast with quinoa. Put into baking dish. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes and finish under the broiler for another 10 minutes at 376 so the quinoa gets crusty on top 

serve with mashed potatoes and a little homemade gravy and you’ve got Peruvian quinoa crusted chicken breast stuffed with goat cheese

IMG_7434.jpeg

Edited by Troble
  • Like 6

I found this bottom round roast in the freezer and upon inspection noticed it had been there for quite some time, just over 1 1/2 years, no worries, it was carefully wrapped in a vacuum shrink pkge and showed no sign of freezer burn. I like a small low fire while roasting, starting with charcoal briquettes and building upon that with small splits of various kinds of wood until the base changes to all wood coals. I used two spices Americo and Gringo from Arizona, from when I was there last as well as some salt. I stole Tekebos' idea for cauliflower but came up short when my wife didn't want the heat, a neutral spice  with a cream sauce was the only available option, next time we'll leave the tin uncovered for a charring of the veggies as opposed to steaming them. After the roast  was finished it was wrapped in foil and allowed to rest over the coals at a safe distance staying warm until it ready to carve. It was warm day and there aren't many left, so here it is with a few pics.

DSCF4195.JPG

DSCF4196.JPG

DSCF4202.JPG

DSCF4203.JPG

DSCF4205.JPG

DSCF4206.JPG

• Like 7