DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Skinless roasted chicken

Another roasted chicken, this time skinless. Nobody in our house eats the skin, so I wanted to try a skinless roasted chicken, to see how much more of the flavor got into the meat. I blended apple cider vinegar, grapeseed oil, thyme, rosemary, basil and oregano in the magic bullet. I poured this over the chicken and let it marinate in a bowl, breast side down for about 2 hours.

Roasted just like usual, with some peach wood. It came out very juicy, not dry at all. I will be trying the skinless apporach a few ore times, with various seasoning blends.

img1550.jpg

img1546j.jpg

img1548vo.jpg

fire do you use the finney method or just cook on the second grate?

No reverse sear here...the grill is already heat soaked because I have been roasting baked potatoes on it for 45 minutes or so before the steaks go on.

I sear them over very hot coals for about 90 seconds on the lower grill, rotate them 90 degrees and let them go another minute or two. Then flip them, and do the same thing on the other side. After rotating on the second side, I close the grill up tight, except for about 1/4 turn on the top hat to let the smoke out (I usually toss in a small chunk of grape vine when the meat goes on). They stay in the closed up grill until they are the desired firmness* - about medium for my family to eat it...they would have it well done except the cook doesnt allow it 8)

*I cook steaks by feel. Technique illustrated here

These look Purrfect..

Chicken thighs that were brined and then smoked for several hours. They were amazingly tender, juicy and filled with flavor.

thighs.jpg

These look Purrfect.. Would you please steer me in the right direction on the steps you took..

I sometimes use turkey pins to pin back the skin on the bottom to keep them from shrinking or falling off..

brining

Looking forward to cruzmisl's account of these, which indeed do look perfect.

We use a 4-8 hour "light brine" (1/2 cup sea salt, 1/4 to 1/3 cup sugar per gallon water) on chicken, fish, pork chops, etc. and invariably prefer the results. Imagine a dial with "unbrined" on one side, and "ham" on the other. Twisting the dial partway toward ham has remarkable results, without becoming too salty or "tight".

It is important that the quantity of brine is significantly greater than the quantity of meat, as one is "diluting" the brine by adding the meat, which contains water. With enough brine and a short soak, one ignores this. For "house-cured ham" over several days, one instead calculates how much salt to add, taking into account the weight of the meat. Not hard, but not relevant here. I keep spreadsheets which tell me what to do, keeping notes on how the target salinity tasted to us, so we can adjust the target percentage for next time. (E.g. I like 0.8% salt by weight for dry-rubbed spareribs, working from gross weight (the price tag) including the bones.)

We like to use Cambro food storage containers. Get the clear plastic ones; they cost more, but can tolerate boiling water, making them more generally useful. Either make the brine in advance (possible since we're not taking into account the weight of the meat) or add ice cubes to top up the volume, so the brine is cold.

The brine recipe is as follows,

2 quarts water

1/2C of sugar

1/2 cup of salt (non iodized-not kosher)

Soak the thighs for 1 hour then spread on a paper towel to dry while you make the fire. Be gentle with the thighs you don't want the skin to fall off.

I used a smoke pot with apple wood and set the starting temperature at 250. The rub used on these thighs was 3EYZ. I also used the old heat deflector covered in foil to give me some indirect heat. I placed the thighs on the grill, skin side up, and then flipped them after an hour or so. Once the temps reached about 150-160f I kicked up the temperature of the cooker to about 280-290. This gave me the heat I needed for crispy skin. I pulled the thighs at 175-180f and enjoyed.

I hope this helps. I can do a photo tutorial if anyone is interested. I'll just have to go to the market and get some more thighs.

jealousy

I'm envious of the whole "ribs standing around the edge of the cooker" thing. :( I have Another Manufacturer's Cooker, and I can't stand stuff up at the edge. The slope of the lid makes that impossible - the lid bangs into the meat, and won't close.

For the record, mine is a smaller one, also, which contributes to the problem.

I'll just drool quietly, from here...

First Brisket! Used Claude's Marinade on a recommendation, left it on overnight, first time for that too!:

4339367466_cb1fc8eb50.jpg

4339368694_e8159a072c_m.jpg

4339368402_3066a83b23.jpg

4338626319_8ea1b12fc4_o.jpg

4338627103_dc3b91649d.jpg

It turned out pretty well. The ends were a bit dry but not the middle. Practice makes perfect :)

Here might be a different off the beaten path item, Soup! I started with a 2/3's heirlooms with 1/3 romas:

4339367858_867ceb0c9d.jpg

You know what's coming next! Smoked and grilled them until soft

4339368524_f1e14f09b6.jpg

4339368202_7d25223e0f.jpg

At this point softened up 1 onion finely diced with 3 cloves of garlic, added 2 cups of chicken stock after translucent, brought temp up and added tomatoes and took off the heat. A minute with the hand blender made this:

4338626705_d876cbedce.jpg

4338626239_a34fe08a11.jpg

Garnished with a bit of cream, pepper cherry tomatoes and thyme. The brisket was ok, the soup was amazing! Nice smoky flavor with the tomatoes.