LarryR

Roadside Chicken

4 hours ago, mguerra said:

HalfSmoke:

I'm pretty sure this came from the Virtual Weber Bullet in the beginning. Larry R posted it here and he brought a lot of stuff to us from over there. That site is an excellent resource for all KKers, so everyone go check it out, if you are unaware:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/index.html

Definitely agree with this. I started on a WSM and learned an awful lot of techniques there. Also picked up a number of recipes that I still use. There was a guy there who was a real saucemaster. Steve Petrone, I think his name was. I still use his "Sauce No. 5" as my go-to, and his Lexington vinegar sauce is my all-time favorite with pulled pork. 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2016 at 0:03 PM, HalfSmoke said:

Definitely agree with this. I started on a WSM and learned an awful lot of techniques there. Also picked up a number of recipes that I still use. There was a guy there who was a real saucemaster. Steve Petrone, I think his name was. I still use his "Sauce No. 5" as my go-to, and his Lexington vinegar sauce is my all-time favorite with pulled pork. 

Ditto, starting out on a WSM definitely made cooking on my KK easier. Steve's #5 sauce is my go to sauce for pulled pork.

1 hour ago, Pequod said:

What I love about this is not just the helpful tip, but the presumption that KK'ers who run out of Worcestershire are likely to have an ample supply of Chinese Black Vinegar. :headbang:

Doesn't everyone?? 🤣

Actually, I have 2 different brands of it in my cupboard. Plus, 3 different ones of actual Worcestershire sauce, one is bourbon barrel aged and only gets used for Bloody Marys! 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Pequod said:

What I love about this is not just the helpful tip, but the presumption that KK'ers who run out of Worcestershire are likely to have an ample supply of Chinese Black Vinegar. :headbang:

Errr, and your point is?  Worcestershire sauce is essential for devilled lambs kidneys (only Fergus Henderson's recipe will do) and Chinese black vinegar is essential for dumplings.

IMG_8589.thumb.jpeg.a4c8dbfab23849b33b5fad84f19ea452.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, tekobo said:

Errr, and your point is?  Worcestershire sauce is essential for devilled lambs kidneys (only Fergus Henderson's recipe will do) and Chinese black vinegar is essential for dumplings.

Point? Heavens no. Just an observation that Roadside Chicken has a high "Bubba" factor, chock full o' ingredients that Bubba not only has on hand, but has in enormous quantities because he bought them at Costco. Bubba would be highly suspicious of Chinese black vinegar...and deviled lambs kidneys for that matter (sounds offal!). :shock:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Pequod said:

Point? Heavens no. Just an observation that Roadside Chicken has a high "Bubba" factor, chock full o' ingredients that Bubba not only has on hand, but has in enormous quantities because he bought them at Costco. Bubba would be highly suspicious of Chinese black vinegar...and deviled lambs kidneys for that matter (sounds offal!). :shock:

Yeah, the "what's your point?" point was just afro British irony.  Had to look up Bubba though.  I am sure you and he would love lamb's kidneys.  How could you not?  Another really good way to do them is on a skewer over a konro.  Good honest offal.  Yum.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I've not done this particular recipe on the roti, but it should be just like any other spun chicken cook. If you have the basket splitter, do a front/back split with the fire in the back, so the chicken rotates in/out of the direct heat side. You can baste the bird as often as you want. I typically shoot for 375F on a chicken cook on the rotisserie. No harm in bumping it up higher (400F - 425F) if you want to shorten the cooking time. Skin will get a bit crispier at the higher temperatures. 

Don't forget to post pictures. One of the tenants on this Forum - no pictures, it didn't happen!

Edited by tony b
  • Like 1