Poochie

Wings with margarita salt

I picked up this margarita salt in Mexico 2 years ago. I applied it liberally to the wings that were first coated with olive oil. Cooked them at 400 degrees direct then ramped it up to 500 at the end.  Very crunchy skin and moist meat. 

I used wooden skewers to straighten out the wings so that more skin would be exposed. Vent photo is to show you what produces 400 degrees exactly on Bolo.

post-2487-0-81501500-1441324313_thumb.jp

post-2487-0-27710300-1441324315_thumb.jp

post-2487-0-15309900-1441324317_thumb.jp

post-2487-0-82273700-1441324318_thumb.jp

post-2487-0-22465800-1441324320_thumb.jp

post-2487-0-85953100-1441324321_thumb.jp

This will be my last cook for a while. I'm getting a new Grandson tomorrow!  :toothy8:  :toothy10:  :toothy7: 

Also, my 5 year old niece is staying with us from Saturday night until Monday. She's a peach! So cooking will be delayed until at least Tuesday. 

Poochie, that's just soooo ironic, that same rub arrived on my doorstep today (ordered it on Amazon a couple of days ago!) The Habanero version is in transit.

Congrats on the new grandbaby! You have an excellent opportunity to introduce that 5 yr old niece to the wonders of BBQ cooking. So, why wait until Tuesday to cook???

Poochie - nice wing cook. Kudos!

Now for the real congrats ... On the birth of that Grandchild! That's always cause for a celebration. Here's to a boringly normal delivery, a happy and healthy Mom, and a wonderful new life that's hale and hearty! This is just wonderful news. And your little niece gets to be there as well! Congrats, congrats, congrats! Please give my very best to the proud new parents.

Takin is wonderful seasoning. Most walmarts sell it in the produce section as it is a seasoning designed for fruit. It's not actually margarita salt. In March I was in Virginia and found it and bought 12 bottles.

It tastes great on fish as well

Have not thought about it on wings but would love to give it a go.

Those wings look great!!!

I didn't cut off the ends of the skewer because it makes them harder to get out of the wing. And yes, they did turn black but didn't burn up. I could still use a glove and tongs to pull it out. When in Mexico, went to the Jose Cuervo distillery and were served margaritas with this stuff lining the rim of the glass. I purchased it there at their factory. But I have seen it elsewhere since I got it. It's good on veggies too.

And thanks everyone on the congratulations of the Grandson. This will be number 5 for me. (3 granddaughters, 2 grandsons) Looking forward to seeing him, even briefly, today. Going back tomorrow to maybe hold him. The family is an hour and a half away. You guys keep cooking and posting to make up for my slacking off! 

Yeah, I bought it for fruit, mainly. But, as I was eating my corn on the cob last night, I had to think that it would be great on it, too. Slather on some mayo, sprinkle on the Takin, and a little dry cheese and viola - Mexican street corn! May have to try this out while the local corn is still available.