tomahawk66

Duck Leg Confit: sous vide

It's getting there. I hope you can take a picture or two of the final cook even though you will have guests over.

Ask and Ye shall receive! (Lucky SWMBO insists on taking photos of almost everything she eats!)

Despite having a bag split 😡 I cooked up half of the duck legs today. Will be interesting to see how the others 'mature' in the fridge.

Very simple this time and not enough jus for a pan sauce as the split bag lost a lot.

5b2ce8307a10f60efbb5628e13b05788.jpg

Patted dry and then pan fried to crisp the skin:

9e74d84c1847a1014c5fa93bf4aaca46.jpg

Spuds cooked in the fat from the legs... Other than goose fat there is nothing I'd rather roast potatoes in!

e5defa3841e3cf1b11bbb1df96975439.jpg

Played and ready to eat:

ca0f16352bf54c3691a8a0e301c88587.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ck, any Asian grocery stores by you? That's where I get our whole ducks and chickens.

Bingo. There are actually four Chinatowns in New York City: Manhattan for tourists, Flushing for everyone in the know, and two more where many people live who work in the first two. The best bang-for-the-buck duck I've ever seen has been in the last two, including a slew of legs perfect for confit. Along with much else of interest. Games of name-that-ingredient are hardest in the last two, whatever one's upbringing.

Bingo. There are actually four Chinatowns in New York City: Manhattan for tourists, Flushing for everyone in the know, and two more where many people live who work in the first two. The best bang-for-the-buck duck I've ever seen has been in the last two, including a slew of legs perfect for confit. Along with much else of interest. Games of name-that-ingredient are hardest in the last two, whatever one's upbringing.

I went to New York in 2002 and we walk all over there and also went down the street with all the out door resteraunts..we ate in little Italy..great food and they were great.very nice people there.but I remember walking pass some Chinese or Asian place where they sold there food..I didnt like the smell.but none the less I got to see all New York had to offer in all types of food..a wonderful experience. I love duck..it def has to be oil since it is such a dry meat

And you put alot of work in your peperation.great cook.thanks for sharing.

The last two legs came out for a super quick light supper tonight, simple salad dressed with a pan sauce dressing from the duck legs (deglaze pan with red wine vinegar, add bag juice and two tablespoons of black cherry preserve, reduce a bit, cool a bit with a little olive oil and bamb!)

Nearly 3 weeks in the fridge under their own fat and man these were the best yet! Reheated then patted dry before going into a hot pan....

4134d498806d8dd4399ed3f6d4b3ad1b.jpg

Used a pair of forks to pull the meat and it just fell off the bone

38d540fd2488422edf4c67ad12e4e912.jpg

Super simple light bite but so tasty!! Next time I'll have to keep the legs for at least a week to mature before eating:

968e8b5019a2fea44abc31104fa176d7.jpg

Now my duck guy was out of legs today so I got 8 breasts instead... This should be fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk