mguerra

Brisket tricks

:thumbup::thumbup: - Doc!!!

I'm sold on Franklin's tips - trimmed, butcher paper @ 165 - 170F, and finish @ 203F.

I did my last one at 250F, but will bump the temps up for the next one to around 300F. Never done one that hot before, so eager to try it. I know that if you recommend it, Doc, it has to be good!!

You'll like it. I've done them as high as 350 and they are great.

ckreef, I noticed the same thing once the grill was heat soaked (4 hours later). Both measurements were within 10 degrees. I believe they would be closer sooner if the wind had not been blowing so hard.

The Thermoworks Dot provides great value for my dollar ($44 shipped with two probes). For one, the extra 4 feet of cable allows me to monitor the temperature from my kitchen window, instead of going outside. Secondly, the accuracy allows me to see small temperature swings and the rate of change. This is helpful because I can adjust the vent settings sooner and more accurately. A seasoned pro isn't going to worry about this, but for a new guy, it provides quicker feedback in response to my adjustments. If nothing else, it certainly helps build confidence.

In his book Franklin said change one variable at a time. The ability to lock in a precise temperature at the grate and keep it there can't hurt.

For anyone interested, here is the original description from the virtualweber forum. One advantage to the foil pan trick they mention is that you capture a big load of juice in the pan and this is fantastic to use on the meat, on potato, on rice, vegetables, anywhere you like. You will catch some juice in a paper wrap if you are careful. My next experiment will be to wrap in paper and place the brisket back on the fire in a baking pan to collect all the juice!

http://virtualweberbullet.com/brisket4.html

Just scored a prime grade, full packer cut brisket at CostCo today for, get this, $3.79/lb! No sh!t!!! If I had more freezer room right now, more than one would have come home with me today! I broke it down into 3 pieces - separated the flat & point, then cut the flat into 2 pieces. One of the flat pieces will be going on the KK on Sunday to try the hot/fast method. Pics to follow!

OK, no crap from you folks this time cause, Yes, I do have pics!

Wanted to try the Hot & Fast method for brisket with this one, since it was prime grade and wasn't worried about it drying out at the higher temps.

Nice hunk of meat. Injected with Butcher's Brisket and Sucklebuster's SPG overnight in the fridge.

post-975-0-10428700-1445873322_thumb.jpg

CYM and mix of 2 parts Bovine, 1 part Black Ops, and 1 part SPG.

post-975-0-82759700-1445873425_thumb.jpg

On the KK @ 325F indirect (w/Guru) and the smoking pot with 1 chunk mesquite and 2 chunks of apple wood. 

post-975-0-69090000-1445873574_thumb.jpg

Wrapped in pink butcher paper at 170F. Finished at 203F in only 4 hours!!! Wrapped in foil, towel, and into the cooler until dinner. Look at the butcher paper. 

post-975-0-57196300-1445873669_thumb.jpg

The grand reveal.

post-975-0-65844500-1445873692_thumb.jpg

Money Shot.

post-975-0-53959800-1445873718_thumb.jpg

Ring the dinner bell!!

post-975-0-38844400-1445873743_thumb.jpg

It's a WINNER, Doc. Moist, tender, and great flavor! Will be my "go to" method for brisket going forward!!! 

Thanks for all the nice compliments, but the kudos go out to Doc - it was his preaching the gospel of hot & fast that got me to try this.

I have to say that it's the best brisket that I've ever cooked. Was it the prime grade beef? Was it the technique? Was it the combo? Don't care, as I'm sold on it, whatever it is!! 

Did anyone see the recent article about Franklin's BBQ banning people for selling their services to stand in line at the place?  College kids were raking it in for business people that wanted to lunch there, etc....  I think the big problem was that it wasn't a 1 for 1 placeholder.  A kid would stand in line and 6 businessmen would show up for lunch.  Must suck to be the most popular brisket man on the planet!