mk1

Coffee wood charcoal

In a word....Fantastic

pics from my instagram @mkslf1990 if you are interested in BBQ, fitness, and the sky

The cook was 2 prime 30 day dry aged bone in NY strips . My usual 2 inch thick cut.

Sous vide for 90 minutes at 129 followed by a 700 degree sear on the new charcoal. It picked up a great flavor.

post-747-0-53788900-1445624045_thumb.pngpost-747-0-74863400-1445624047_thumb.jpgpost-747-0-27965000-1445624049_thumb.jpgpost-747-0-35960800-1445624050_thumb.jpg

On a high temp sear like that, how much coffee wood do you end up burning? Not that it matters one bit compared to the cost of even 1/2 of one of those steaks, but I'm curious anyway. How much fuel is left the next morning, once the fire is completely extinguished?

If you feel like taking a long drive, I'm about 450 miles away in Connecticut and plan to place an order before the end of the year. Can you take it back across the border?

Thanks for the offer but to long of a drive. Charcoal can cross the border. Dennis is trying to 0ut an order together for Toronto.

Thanks for the offer but to long of a drive. Charcoal can cross the border. Dennis is trying to 0ut an order together for Toronto.

450 miles for a killer meal (I'm assuming egmiii will feed you) and some charcoal. Where is your dedication - road trip ............. Edited by ckreef

Fantastic looking steaks. I too have recently used the coffee wood charcoal. I would characterize the pieces as medium in nature with very few chips and fines.

It is pretty much perfect for grilling. The temperature raises in a hurry, imparts a nice smoky flavor, and has a fairly homogeneous size. Fogo has been my standard, but I like the coffee wood more for high temp grilling. Due to the massive chunks, Fogo is great for smoking, but I find the large size chunks impair high temp exposure to the protein.

Benton

• Like 1

The boxes are hand packed with only medium to larger pieces.. Larger than usual because I wanted pieces that are less carbonized and still have lots of organic material for flavor.. Sorta like smoking charcoal.  No sense in buying it for the flavor and using well carbonized pieces that impart little flavor.. 

My new high compression charcoal extruder from Thailand is in the factory.. I have plans to make coco char with smoking chips extruded in it.. Hopefully we'll end up selling Coffee, tamarind and apple smoking charcoal. Having the wood incorporated into the charcoal should produce very clean smoke because the gas will immediately burn off and not create bitter vapor..

• Like 1