CeramicChef

The Best Burger Press I've Found

Hi Friends!

Just returned from a few days out in Colorado Springs.  I was just ahead of the snow out there ... always a good thing!

Before I left, I went to Williams-Sonoma looking for wedding gifts for my Niece.  She was getting married at the Air Force Academy Chapel.  Beautiful wedding.

While there I stumbled across a new, at least to me, burger press.  Now understand that I am mostly absolutely unimpressed with the vast majority of burger presses I've see.  TO my mind, they are just too flimsy to turn out really good burgers.  I love a good burger and because most burger presses are so flimsy, they just ruin a burger.

So what to my wondering eye should appear?  A REALLY SUBSTANTIAL BURGER PRESS! It was substantial, made from cast aluminum.  Even better, it was ON SALE for a mere $20! AT W-S that's a steal!  So without further adieu, here it is.  

The front and back of the box:

post-1831-0-47560500-1447816739_thumb.jp   post-1831-0-40575000-1447816989_thumb.jp

Now here is a side view of the press.  Notice the set screw that allows for a really nice assortment of burger thicknesses.

post-1831-0-85289700-1447816910_thumb.jp

Here is the press in its open position.

post-1831-0-47022800-1447817037_thumb.jp

Now I decided to use some parchment paper on top and bottom  to insure that meat particles didn't get trapped in the press.  It just makes cleanup easier.  So here is the press set up to make its first burger.

post-1831-0-66990500-1447817153_thumb.jp

And here is the finished product showing the burger pressed between the parchment papers.

post-1831-0-45260200-1447817239_thumb.jp

This is a picture of the finished burger.  Perfection itself!

post-1831-0-01507900-1447817383_thumb.jp

I made 4 perfect 1/3 pound burgers in just seconds.  Nothing has ever been easier!

post-1831-0-53391000-1447817458_thumb.jp

Here I am ready to put the burgers on Beauty! my 19" Hi-Cap.  Notice that I am taking precautions to remain well hydrated!  

post-1831-0-36943300-1447817554_thumb.jp

And here are the perfect burgers on the main grate of Beauty!

post-1831-0-29837200-1447817613_thumb.jp

These burgers grilled to a perfect MR/M without getting thick in the middle.  They were absolutely perfect.  Sorry, no money shot, but you get the point.

This burger press is really a bargain at $20.  I think of all the flimsy plastic presses I've spent much more money on and just tossed in the trash and I could buy everyone here a press just like this for Christmas!  Unfortunately I can't do that because I went back the next day and they were all gone!  Damn the luck anyway!  

When all is said and done, if there is a W-S near you, you might want to run by and see of you can get one of these is you like really good burgers.  

• Like 1

Just got their catalog and was drooling over some of the stuff. Excellent looking, restaurant-grade equipment, but you pay for it! 

Just checked Amazon, this looks very close to Ken's press, but at about half the price.

http://smile.amazon.com/Weston-Burger-Express-Hamburger-Ejector/dp/B000XB45DO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1447868838&sr=8-4&keywords=hamburger+press

bryan - that is some kind of serious meat machine!  And I thought I was a gadget guy!   :lol:

After grinding the meat twice it is mixed and spiced in the mixer, then again run through the grinder - and down the ramp. After that we cut to length for sliders, burgers, and or Fattie wraps. We also make what we call beef dogs with the jerky attch.

After grinding the meat twice it is mixed and spiced in the mixer, then again run through the grinder - and down the ramp. After that we cut to length for sliders, burgers, and or Fattie wraps. We also make what we call beef dogs with the jerky attch.

That company's vacuum machine looks awesome..

http://www.lemproducts.com/product/maxvac-vacuum-sealer-new-improved/vacuum-sealer

Ken, Gotta get one of those hamburger presses.. home chop you meat in a food processor then use that press for the best burgers on the planet!

Looks like a few companies sell the same unit..

Bellemain-Adjustable-Burger-Press

http://www.amazon.com/Bellemain-Adjustable-Burger-Press-Expeller/dp/B00HWHJUB4/ref=pd_sim_79_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41sNFsgtDKL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR106%2C160_&refRID=1T8A6R5C9338G16MS273

Weston-Burger-Express

http://www.amazon.com/Weston-Burger-Express-Hamburger-Ejector/dp/B000XB45DO/ref=pd_sim_79_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=41DAJzww5GL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1GYW6E4YWGEKJ1WA34M6

So many cool toys.. so little time to play with them!

Never used a burger press always did it by hand.

Yes. If one wants uniformly sized burgers, use a digital scale. I set out a number of Corelle saucers, smeared with olive oil. Divide up the meat, and form into patties with the lightest finger touch, using the saucers as guides to obtain uniform diameters.

Using a burger press to form burgers is like using a rolling pin to punch down bread dough. There are many purposes to punching down bread dough, but none of them read "collapse all those little air bubbles". There is a duality to a great burger, a floating tender lightness, and at the same time so meaty it surprises you every time. Think love and sex.

Here is my go-to meat grinder; also order other sizes of plates. If you have time, nearly freeze the chunks of meat before grinding. The issue is to avoid smearing the fat, which a food processor is prone to do. Even if one never aspires to be a master sausage maker, one can look to this group for best practices. This is like visiting Hida Tools for Japanese knives; the critical activity is woodworking, and cooking is by comparison play. Here, making burgers is the kindergarten version of making sausages, but the sausage makers are the only ones who can truly teach us how to handle meat.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/10-Stainless-Steel-Meat-Grinder-p/15-1010.htm