Jon B.

Mac's First Spin

Dennis didn't want to send me the old-old style rotisserie basket but I talked him into it....................and after a few alterations and help from skreef, we got it up and running......I mean.........spinning!!!!

On the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, I went to the local Wegman's grocery store and found a nice looking hanger steak.  Wegman's is a top ranked local grocery chain.  One of the great things they do is to buy from local farmers.  This steak was processed from a local rancher who specializes in raising quality Angus cattle.  

post-2550-0-92658400-1448899133_thumb.jp

Dusted it with some Adobo and set it into the basket on the KK with some RO lump and a little pear wood.

post-2550-0-47364100-1448899263_thumb.jppost-2550-0-18072500-1448899265_thumb.jp

I wanted to cook it as slowly as possible but get some decent color on the meat.  I held the grill at 250*.

We pulled the meat at 130* internal and let it rest. You can tell from the photo below, that there was not much color on the finished product.  The meat was super tender and tasty................however next time I will try the grill at 300* to see if I can get a better crust and still maintain the tenderness on this cut of meat. 

post-2550-0-64626700-1448899662_thumb.jp

Too much fun!!!!!!!!

Looks good.

To darken,  perhaps consider 2 things?

1) Reverse sear,  take out of  basket,  insert lowest grill, and  sear it a bit.  Probably take off at a lower internal temp. though...

2) perhaps easier,  is to stop spinning the meat  and  let it stand still over the heat .

in the past,  I have wanted chicken a bit darker on the Rotissiere and  I have  stopped the spinning so the breast was facing down...something to consider?

Looks tasty. Rotisserie looks like it's working fine.

So far for me the rotisserie cooks seem to do just fine at a slightly elevated temperature compared to what I would normally cook something at.

Also I bought a mini cookie sheet (cheapie from Walmart) that will sit on the lump basket which allows you to do a indirect rotisserie cook on the 19" and gives you a small drip pan. When setup this way I do swap out my thumb screws for 5mm Allen head bolts (12mm long if I remember correctly). Depending on how big the chunk of meat is the thumb screws may not clear the cookie sheet properly. If that made any sense. Going to spin a Boston butt one day.

BTW - KK looks way to clean - get cooking buddy - LOL

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

First thing you need to do for browning is to coat the surface with a little oil.. When heated this will get rid of the moisture that prevents browning.

You can take it to high temps to brown off the git go and then put in a drip pan and shut it down cooking it with the residual heat..

I would not really spin a steak because they are so temperature sensitive and you can't use a probe to monitor the temps..

A roast is cooked longer and maybe makes more sense.. I know you just wanted to play with your new toy..  ;-)

Looks good.

To darken,  perhaps consider 2 things?

1) Reverse sear,  take out of  basket,  insert lowest grill, and  sear it a bit.  Probably take off at a lower internal temp. though...

This is exactly what I would do. 

Still, that rotisserie is a lot of fun, isn’t it? ^_^