Gnomatic

Bison Brisket

Since I love bison, I've wanted to try a bison brisket for some time.  Well, I was finally able to get my hands on one last weekend.  To my surprise, it only weighed 5lbs.  The front ends of these animals are HUGE, so I expected a whole bison brisket to be massive.  At first I thought I just received a chunk of flat, but after looking this over and confirmed through slicing, it is indeed a whole brisket.  There was a flat and a point, separated by a very thin vein of fat.

Because bison is so lean, I made some decisions in preparing this meat that run counter to my preferred way to cook a brisket.  Typically, I smoke my briskets low and slow, and NEVER foil, because to me, the bark is the bomb.  There was very little trimming on this one.  First thing I did was inject it with some Kosmos Brisket Injection I has laying around.  After coating in 50/50 salt and pepper, I tossed this on my KK, hot and fast around 300F.   Once the internal temp hit 165F, I put the brisket in a aluminum pan and sealed w/ a sheet of foil.  Once it hit 203F, I pulled it and let it sit 25min before slicing.  About 6 1/2hrs total.

(CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE)

post-748-0-87155000-1450553571_thumb.jpg

post-748-0-53524800-1450553557_thumb.jpg

post-748-0-37590000-1450553545_thumb.jpg

All in all this turned out very, very good.  The bark wasn't completely mush, which was a pleasant surprise.  While it was by no means dry, injecting and foiling were the right call I felt.    The flavor was excellent.

• Like 1

Gnomatic - that's one really fine looking hunk of bison! I loved the smokering on this. Yeah, I know, nobody judges it anymore, but still, you eat with your eyes first.

Like you, I thought a bison brisket would be a huge clod of meat. Being as lean as bison is, I'd have thought it would have dried out in one big hurry. I like the pan technique. I think that probably was the biggest factor in making this a successful cook. Kudos to you! Kudos.

Bison.. So was the flavor unique.. if it was served to you would you be able to spot it as Bison?

Dennis, while I've never done the Pepsi Challenge so to speak, I believe I could tell the difference with most cuts between bison and beef.  Bison and beef are VERY similar in flavor.  I've often described bison as having a 'beefier' beef flavor.  It is much leaner than beef, and can be unforgiving to being even slightly overcooked with cuts like steaks.  You do not want to overcook a bison steak.

That looks great!

How did you source your bison brisket? Did you go through a local butcher/meat supplier, or did you have to mail order it?

There are a couple local bison farmers within about 30 miles of me.  Sometimes I can get it at local farmers markets, and if not, I'll just pick some up straight from the farm.

One of the farms, the smaller one, will send out notices of their next bison harvest in advance, so their customers can order the cuts of their choice.  They usually have the entire bison sold before its even slaughtered.  Its in high demand.