PRippley

More Christmas Prime

Started off with a full 7 bone prime rib roast 16.5 lbs bones cut off and tied back on by the butcher (Cartwright's in Grants Pass Oregon, fantastic meat and organic market that just also happens to have a 30 tap growler station). Cut off approximately 4 lbs for a future dinner for just the two of us. Here's what was left.

e72283f867a354b2e9bef7525b9c9dd9.jpg

Rubbed it all over with coarse ground salt, the day before, then the morning of, rubbed with a mixture of black pepper, more salt, garlic powder, ground mustard, tiny bit of red pepper and Worcestershire sauce.

b21e6f1f5188c61c9a57e367459941ac.jpg

I like Charles, prefer the sear first method, but unlike Charles I only have one KK, so I seared mine in the oven at 550 for 7 minutes. Saphira was set up with deflector stone in and main grate, heat soaked for an hour plus and pegged at 340 degrees. Prime was on for about 3.5 hours and pulled at IT of 138.

9d4107b15f494b9de88903735a72be48.jpg

This is as close to a money shot as I can get because we had to carry the prime over to the neighbors and as usual in the last half hour before Christmas dinner, chaos reigned! Here's when it was just me and Saphira chillin

6d47917fa1f4354e266f1e87b2fc840d.jpg

Take aways,- I cooked the prime at too high of a temperature it was done earlier than I thought. Next time I am going to shoot for 250-275. We had several of the group who do not like bloody meat, unlike me who tends to the rare side of medium rare. So the IT of 138 was way overcooked for me, after resting and raising several more, but the group raved about it and regardless of the fact that I thought it was overcooked it was moist, juicy and tender. That result I attribute 100% to Saphira. Last takeaway, I am going back to a more simple rub I have used on 99% of my primes and that is lemon pepper, salt and pepper, stuck to the prime with good old butter. The concoction I made just didn't taste as good or form as nice a crust and it looked, though it didn't taste, thank goodness, burnt. In the final analysis everyone was happy and well fed and we ended the evening with a nice walk around the light show at a local park.

f0b3fb12428f0a2dcc1e6a2c78072f39.jpg