Jon B.

Grilled Watermelon - Didn't Know This

Watermelon Margarita made with grilled Watermelon, Jalapeño infused Tequila, rimmed with smoked salt and garnished with a slice of lime and Jalapeño. Served with grilled Watermelon wedges.

We are a full service Bistro - LOL

Ahhh summer can't get here soon enough.

b20e49ce4cf7ccb8ab13f463ad639f5f.jpge2b4e64adbcc7393b6c6166ceab7d42c.jpg76d16df5feeb692c7e6d4506bcda82f8.jpgb96b081464d9c1523ba46eaba34d9cf7.jpg386d7a6c5643d0ba62de516562688860.jpg

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

Edited by ckreef

TY everyone - the Watermelon Margarita was an interesting drink for sure. I was a little disappointed in the Watermelon itself. When I cut it open it had a huge rind. At that point I was committed to this endeavor so I made the best of it.

If I ever grill Watermelon again I will have a seriously raging bed of coals. Would work a little better then the hot bed of coals I used.

Love that too.. How much smokiness did the salt pick up?

The salt picked up a bit of smoke. I now know (after talking to others) how to smoke salt even better.

With salt you really need a low temp and thick billowing white smoke for 2-4 hours. Sort of counter intuitive to what we normally do but salt works a bit different and doesn't get rancid with thick smoke. The darker the salt gets the smokier it is. That batch was only light brown. A nice dark brown would be better.

I have a couple of manufactured smoked salts - one of them is quite dark and very smoky.

http://www.saltworks.us/bonfire-smoked-sea-salt.html#.Vpb5uBUrKM8

Next time make it yourself. Sea salt spread thin in a pan. Try for 200* and a lot of smoke. Stir occasionally and 2-4 hours later your done. I did mine on an Akorn, should be much easier to maintain a lower temp on a KK.

The style is called Rauchbier (yes, it's German). The trick is to get smoky flavor but not to the point where you think you're drinking a campfire! Trust me, I've had some that smoky - not good at all!! I smoked my malt back in the day when it was a bit harder to find. Now, most brewing supply shops carry it.