DennisLinkletter

Tru Tel Dial ~ Feedback Please

Tru Tel Dial   

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which version should we ship in the US?

• Ship Fahrenheit only version in the US
    • Ship all grills with the dual-temp Fahrenheit / Celsius dial
    • Dual Fuel without Komodo Kamado name..
  2. 2. If using the Dual Fuel without Indoneisa...

• KK above the center
    • KK split - Komodo above and Kamado below

I agree with Wilbur, I'm not a fan of a logo on the thermometer.

I’m trying to come up with a way to better explain this that won’t get people upset. So with the caveat that the comparison I’m about to make is not intended to make fun of anyone’s interests or hobbies, here goes:

I think we can all agree that KK grills are a high end item. There’s no denying the obvious quality and thought that went into the design of our grills. One of the things that makes this clear is the difference between seeing pictures and online information about a KK grill and seeing it in person. There are aspects of quality with the KK grill that just doesn’t telegraph well through photos or the internet.

There are other brands in other types of products where there’s a similar experience: Apple for phones and computers, Mercedes-Benz for cars, Rolex for watches, and so on. If you take a look at the image those brands project, they skew towards the minimalist side. Most high end brands take that approach.

In the grilling world, a good example would be Kalamazoo grills. If you take a look at how those grills are branded, there’s a relatively small Kalamazoo badge with a logo on the lid, and “Kalamazoo†printed down in the control area along with the model number in relatively small type. That’s it. 

Kalamazoo grills also come with a number of custom cooking surfaces, which is something that brand is known for. Those grates don’t have Kalamazoo branded on their surfaces anywhere, either.

On the other hand, there are a number of other kamado brands whose marketing strategy seems to run along the lines of “If it has a space available, put the logo on itâ€. And although I’m not saying that such an approach can’t be successful, it’s not the sort of approach that high end products tend to take.  An Audi only has two spots on the exterior that identify the brand: the grill and the trunk. A NASCAR race car is certainly a performance car, and arguably beats an Audi on performance, but all the badges and logos take away from the image of a NASCAR race car as being a high end model. (Not a perfect analogy, I know, but I think it gets the point across. And this was the point of comparison that I was worried about. I’m not denigrating NASCAR or its fans by this comparison. I like NASCAR racing myself.)

So that’s why I’m not in favor of a KK branded thermometer. There are plenty of design cues that KK is known for. The current location of the logo is nicely placed. The silhouette of the grills, the feet, and the top vent are clearly associated with KK and no other grill. The use of tile also further differentiates the company and its products. That’s why I would say that although you could put “Komodo Kamado†on the thermometer, you don’t NEED to do so. 

I would vote for shipping Fahrenheit/Celsius thermometers with all KK grills. Helps simplify the inventory. ^_^

• Like 1

Truth be told I really love my F/C teltru. It is simple and elegant. I have always envied the thermometer when I saw it in photos. I would also agree not to add it to the grill. I prefer the basic tel true on there.

If you have to add it and arc to match the bend would look ok. I tend to agree with the thought of less is more

Tel-tru thermometers are know as high end thermometers. The other kamado brands don't use Tel-tru's. I post a fair number of pictures of my temperature and the Tel-tru logo is clear in those pictures which implies the little things that make KK's the best kamado on the market.

If I was designing the logo for the thermometer I would put Komodo Kamado in an arch at the top under the scale and Tel-tru in a straight line at the bottom. That implies Dennis spent the extra time and money to get a custom run of high end thermometers. Best of both worlds.

A little extra branding is not going to hurt in my mind.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

Per Tel Tru's FAQ page, they are accurate to  +/- 1% full span per ASME B40.3 Grade A. So, on a typical low and slow, that's about +/- 2.5 F. You can't read that accuracy on this dial scale; it's about the width of the pointer. As they say, "Close enough for Government work!" 

Most times no one will even see the logo.

BUT every time there is a temp pic posted the KOMODO-KAMADO logo  WILL be displayed.   It shouts that this unit holds a steady temp and here is the proof.  Free coverage in many publications around the world by many chefs.

Very subtle and very effective.  Good for the company.  The objective of advertising  is to get the product in front of the people.  If it stimulates one sale -- well you can't knock success

Joe Bryan

Those 12 letters won't add that much to the freight.

I think a high end product doesn't need labels all

Over it. I was drawn to the KK therm when I first set eyes on CCs. It was simple yet I knew a high end therm.

When you look at a high end Ferrari there is a logo on the front and back of the vehicle. Every accessory isn't labeled Ferrari. It's the quality and craftsmanship that separates it from the rest and identifies what it is.

I am a minimalist to an extent and think that less is more with the therm. I don't need to see KK on the therm to recognize the brand. The gorgeous tile job will be in all of those photos and that's what will be grabbing the attention.

Running the KK page I know that the tile gets people saying wow I want !!

Most times no one will even see the logo.

BUT every time there is a temp pic posted the KOMODO-KAMADO logo  WILL be displayed.   It shouts that this unit holds a steady temp and here is the proof.  Free coverage in many publications around the world by many chefs.

Very subtle and very effective.  Good for the company.  The objective of advertising  is to get the product in front of the people.  If it stimulates one sale -- well you can't knock success

Joe Bryan

Those 12 letters won't add that much to the freight.

My vote is with Joe's comments above.