bosco

bosco's boston butt and spatchcock chicken

In the spirit of preparing for the week ahead, I decided to throw a 10 LB boston butt on yesterday and would portion the pork into food saver bags for future meals.  I used a rub that tiny fish gave to me to rub it down.  The rub was fantastic, just don't know the name of it lol!!

Anyways, I got the 23" Komodo Kamado up to 225 and placed the butt on around noon.  I cooked at 225 for 10 hours, then decided to raise the temp to 250.  I woke up at 5am, and the KK was still rock solid at 250 degrees.  I used peach wood for smoking and the aroma was outstanding!!!!

This butt hit an IT of 203 and it was so juicy and tender.  I think the bark set better than any other butt that I have ever done.  The smoke ring penetrated deep into the meat, giving it a beautiful red hue to the meat.  

_DSC1548.jpg

_DSC1553.jpg

_DSC1556.jpg

After 17 hours of cooking, I still had some lump left in the basket, and added a little more.  I got the temp up to 375 and did two spatchcock chickens that I rubbed down with the Slabs birds and bones (my favourite rub to date).  

_DSC1560.jpg

_DSC1564.jpg

_DSC1572.jpg

_DSC1570.jpg

I was able to seal 3 bags of pulled pork for future cooks and left some out for dinner tonight and lunches this week!!!

The chicken was puled at 170 IT and the skin was crispy and flavourful!!!