Newg4

First low and slow cook on the KK

I'm finally getting around to doing a low heat cook today. I picked up 3 racks of some good looking baby backs from my butcher. I went out early this morning and started prepping the KK. I topped off the charcoal basket with coffee char and lit it in one spot in the center with my mapp torch. My bottom vent was opened about half way and my top was 1 turn open. Once the temp hit 200 I put in the double bottom drip pan and the main grate. Once the temp got back up to 200, I adjusted the bottom vent to about a credit card thickness open, and closed the top vent to 1/4 turn open. I put my maverick probe on the main grate just so I can keep an eye on things from the house. A little over an hour and the KK was settled in around 270. At this time I took the grate and the drip pan out and placed a couple of chunks of coffee wood on and around the lit coals. I put everything back in and put the ribs on. After I got the lid closed, it took the temp about 20 min to stabilize back at 270-280 range. I'm just going to let these babies cook through, not going to foil or anything. I will post some pics of the final product once I get there. I Really love cooking on this grill!!image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

Finished product...

image.jpg

They ended up going for about 4.5 hours. They were just the way I like them, not completely fall off the bone but still very tender. Next time I will add more smoke wood but I'm pretty close on the flavor profile I like.

• Like 1

All in all it was a successful cook. Everybody really liked the ribs including my self. I learned a lot about my KK on this cook. It really is amazing how little airflow it takes to maintain a low temp. At first I was scared  the fire was going to go out but it just cruised right along. I became more confident as the cook went on and I actually left the house for an hour or so during the cook, no issues the temp stayed rock solid. Looking at my charcoal basket after I snuffed it out, the coals burned to the right half. The smoking wood that I placed on the left half was untouched. Next time I will do something different with the smoking wood just not sure what. I may look into making a smoke pot like some of you have. 

Newg4 - placing smoke wood is always problematic.  

Szgzyies (Spelling) who is a member here described a smoke pot made out of a 2Qt Lodge cast iron pit with 3 holes drilled in the bottom (YES, the bottom). He fills it with the smoke wood of his choice and places it right on top of the coals.  The smoke is ejected  downward right into the fire.  That little downward ejection burns off all the nasty volatiles and you're left with thin blue smoke, the holy grail.  You can search for that post using the search function.

I also posted something of the pot I made.  It has lots of pics.  Notice that I drilled too many holes.  You only need three holes and you're good to go.  You can also search for my post on how NOT to drill too many holes. ;)

This smoke pot works great and thanks to Szyzgies for the idea.  His solution solves the quandary of where to place your smoke wood.  I often use combinations of wood and pellets in my smoke pot.  It simply works.

Again, nice cook!

On April 9, 2016 at 0:00 PM, Newg4 said:

I'm just going to let these babies cook through, not going to foil or anything.

You know what’s never been said about cooking ribs on a KK grill?

“I really miss spritzing and foiling.” 

^_^

Seriously, great job on those ribs!