Izzy

Through serendipity, I stumbled into the KK 32

At this point, I can't see the justification for getting another grill when this Big Bad 32 will serve my needs.  Let's see if I change my mind after six months.  I have to admit that I am in shock because I did not expect that the Primo would look so out of place standing next to the KK 32.  My wife is right in that, the oval does not belong anywhere near the KK 32.

Did I say that I ordered two rib racks so I could do 18 ribs at once for big events.  To my surprise, the KK 32 can only accommodate one rib rack.  I tried putting a rack on the top grate, but the lid would not close.  The full rib rack cannot go on the lower grate either.  The only place is the main grate.

Did I say every piece of accessory is top-notch?  My goodness!

• Like 1

Is the tool to remove the side brackets and attach the side tables bundled with the KK 32 or am I missing something?  I know I'll  be using the side tables temporarily since I'm building an outdoor kitchen, but in the meantime, I want to try them out.  I will now be at least three weeks before the outdoor kitchen is ready because my contractor is dragging his feet since he has too many other projects going on at this time.

17 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Is the tool to remove the side brackets and attach the side tables bundled with the KK 32 or am I missing something?  I know I'll  be using the side tables temporarily since I'm building an outdoor kitchen, but in the meantime, I want to try them out.  I will now be at least three weeks before the outdoor kitchen is ready because my contractor is dragging his feet since he has too many other projects going on at this time.

It's an Allen wrench that comes in the box of spare parts as I remember.  That's an "L" shaped hex wrench that is chromed.  

Nice looking KK. Those tiles are awesome.

One thing I noticed. In the hinge picture (4th picture) I believe you are missing a cotter pin. Should go in the little hole at the end of the hinge pin to keep the hinge pin from slowly working itself out.

Reef's Bistro

37 minutes ago, ckreef said:

Nice looking KK. Those tiles are awesome.

One thing I noticed. In the hinge picture (4th picture) I believe you are missing a cotter pin. Should go in the little hole at the end of the hinge pin to keep the hinge pin from slowly working itself out.

Reef's Bistro

What a great spot, Keen eye you have ck. :smt023 :smt023

I'm missing a cotter pin?  OK.  I'm going to go through the manual.  My understanding was that everything was already assembled and I did not need to do anything.  I'll look for the so-called cotter pin the small box to see if it's there.

Today is cooking day.  I'm about to cook three slabs of St. Louis ribs.  I've already emptied one box of coconut charcoal into the grill.  Is that too much?  I had to go to my local hardware store to get some fire starters.  I'm ready now.  I'll start the fire in an hour.  I need to go through the manual to find out the correct setting for the temperature.  I suppose I will need the deflector plates.  I have two types of deflector plates.  I am not sure which ones to use.  Also I have the stainless steel charcoal cover.  Do I use that as well?

That cotter pin should have been in place from the factory, contact Dennis and get another, or go to a local hardware store and get one, they're very cheap. If you find one in your parts box, it's likely for the top vent, there's a similar hole in the bottom of that shaft to prevent unscrewing inadvertently.

If I remember right, it takes a bit more than one box of cocochar to fill the basket of a 32", the basket should be roughly full, to the top of the basket itself.

For roughly 250° ish, bottom vent about 1/4"-1/3" open, top about 1/4 turn open, from the point you can just feel the gasket touch.

I hope a 32" owner will chime in, or refer to your manual, as the deflector system is multi piece, all smaller grills are one piece.

The stainless charcoal cover you're referring to I think is a drip pan, not a cover.

If all else fails, call Dennis, I truly believe he enjoys helping with new owners in such matters. Heck, I think he truly enjoys helping in all matters, that's part of the package!

Rob

• Like 1