MacKenzie

A 24 hour story.

This going to be huge because there is so much to share. :) It all starts when I discovered my night blooming cereus was going to bloom this evening.

Blossom Early Evening.jpg

Blossom Opening.jpg

Slowly over the evening it opens starting about 7-8 o'clock and finally fully open about mid night.

Side View Blossom.jpg

Blossom Open.jpgBlossom Close Up.jpg

There is a rather nice fragrance throughout the house during this show.

This is 6AM the next morning. It is just hanging straight down and will soon dry up and turn brown.

6 AM Blossom.jpg

About 24 hours later from the start of opening it looks like this.

Cereus Next Morning.jpg

Now that I'm up early, let's get a pix of the salad bar that I've been posting greens from. It is about to be emptied and I'll start a new batch.

Salad Bar.jpg

Since I'm on the way to feed the critters might as well get a pix of the chipmunk and squirrel trail. Hard to believe they made this trail.

Squirrel Path.jpg

For breakfast one of my favourite summer time meals, fried leftover yellow beans, potatoes and onions. I love this stuff.

Breakfast.jpg

Lunch time. I'm saving myself for dinner so this is really light.

Heirloom green beans that are huge about 8 inches long and 1/2 to 1 inch wide. They were very tender and mild tasting, I liked them very much.

Green Beans.jpg

Now for dinner- chicken shawarma pizza. The dough, started it last night.

Pizza Dough.jpg

Spread on some pizza sauce and layered on the slices chicken shawarma and hot Thia peppers, mushrooms next and then cheese.

Shawarma Chicken on Pizza.jpg

Some Tiny Tims from the garden.

Pizza Dressed.jpg

Ready to bake,

Pizza Ready for KK.jpg

Baked @ 460F for 15 mins. Could have done it a little hotter.

Pizza is Ready.jpg

Baked Pizza.jpg

Plated.

Pizza Plated.jpg

Tomato on Pizza.jpg

End of a very long story. :) I hope you made it to the end. ;)

Breakfast.jpg

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 2

CK, you are so right, I would have posted pixs last year. I've had this plant for many years and last year was the first time it ever blossomed for me. I was thrilled stayed up late to see the whole show. I looked for the little sign of there might be a blossom this year and thought I did see it but weeks went by and I couldn't find it. Then all of a sudden it is huge and going to open. It blooms only at night so you have to stay up to see it or miss it. ;)

Thanks, Shuley and Aussie, can't beat pizza on the KK with that baking stone unless it's thin crust on the new carbon steel one. :)

@MacKenzie - what a lovely montage!  Thanks for the lovely pictures.  The pics of that bloom are just beautiful.  I just had a cactus the bloomed briefly, about 3 days, and then gone.  It seems all beauty is fleeting.  And as always, those pics of your cooks leave me breathless and drooling.  Wonderful post!  Kudos!

Thanks, dstr. :) It is my first year for the salad bar and I just started it over for another round. It is self watering but I find it is very hot on the deck and I usually do add water every second day. Even though my garden is not far from the deck I find if I can just go out the sliding glass door and walk a few steps to the salad bar I'm not apt to put more greens on the dinner plate. I bought it at Lee Valley but the unit is made in the USA, not screws, mails or any fasteners necessary to put it together. Here is the link http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=74022&cat=2,44663,71822

Epiphyllum is the name of the flowering cactus... My brothers and I each have a piece from a cactus that my father once had and the plants are probably along the line of 35 years old .  We each get a bloom or two each season, here is mine from earlier this year...

It is time to replant mine in a new hanging basket and I have to admit I rather neglected it lately so it has been in my backyard in a corner getting rehydrated...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by KevinD
  • Like 2

That is gorgeous, Kevin. Mine is in a pot and it's about 4-5 feet tall. The plant itself certainly lacks something but more than makes up for it with the blossom. I keep mine inside and sometimes I put it out during the summer but I have to be careful not to sun burn it.

Edited by MacKenzie

We've got a lot of memories tied up in our fathers "Epi" - he used to wait and wait for it to bloom and as already noted, it typically does so only once a year.   When I was responding to MacK, I could hardly believe it was that old - time goes by so fast… 

Here's to many happy years and memories for you and your entire family! :)

Yes, passing down plants is a nice way to remember them. I have a Christmas cactus that was started by the Mother-in-law many years ago. It blooms almost every year between Thanksgiving and Christmas. My Sister-in-law has a piece from it as well, and we always make a point of calling each other when it blooms.

• Like 1