Steve M

Kalua Pork

I've been wanting to try this one for a while. I saw the recipe on the slap yo daddy's web site. I threw it on my already heat soaked kk at about 7am this morning. I put the rub on last night which consisted of worcestershire sauce on the butt for adhesive properties for the rub. Wanting to stay close to authentic, I used some Hawaiian red sea salt mixed with bbq rub and chicken bouillion powder. I wrapped it in plastic and refrigerated overnight. I wanted to use a bone-in Boston Butt but my local grocer only had a boneless one and I wasn't too picky.

IMG_2851.JPG

IMG_2852.JPG

CyberQ in my weatherproof container holding solid at 250.

It took about 5 hours or so to reach 160 when it was ready for the banana leaf wrap. My banana plants just got wracked by tropical storm Hermine but I found some good candidates on the bottom leaves.

IMG_2856.JPG

Even found my banana crop is coming in.

IMG_2857.JPG

IMG_2860.JPG

Ready to come off the grill.

IMG_2859.JPG

Here is a shot of the banana leaf on a sheet of foil. I can't believe I forgot to take a pic of the butt wrapped in the leaves but I did. I placed the butt on the leaf shown, covered it with a paste made from crushed pineapple, brown sugar, and melted butter. Another leaf went on top and I wrapped it tightly with 2 sheets of foil and back in the grill.

IMG_2862.JPG

King Oanha Moa Drinki can barely contain himself.

IMG_2863.JPG

3 hours later, the butt hit 200 but still felt a little resistance when probing. I let it go another 5 degrees and it was ready to pull. This pic is the after shot of the banana leaf wrap.

IMG_2866.JPG

Finished product.

IMG_2868.JPG

Plated with some rice and summer squash. I also had one serving on a Hawaiian sweet roll. This was a little different from pulled pork that I usually do but it is a keeper recipe.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, tony b said:

Looks great. Care to share the rub recipe? I have a stash of Hawaiian red sea salt just for doing this. I've used Emeril's recipe in the past. 

2 Tbsp Knorr chicken bouillon, 1 Tbsp Slap you Daddy all purpose rub, and 2 tsp Hawaiian Red Alea sea salt or coarse salt.

I think next time I would double the recipe. My pork butt was on the small side and I wish I had hit it a little heavier. Worcestershire sauce held the rub on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

Turned out great nice to find out you have some bananas on the way

Outback Kamado Bar and Grillemoji621.png

I have to confess it was a bit of a camera trick. They are about 1" long. :)

This is the first year they bore fruit and I was pretty excited to discover them a couple months ago. they never got bigger. 

2 hours ago, ckreef said:

Nice butt cook. The upper leaves of your banana plant look ravished. 

I've wanted to do a butt with banana leaves for some time now just haven't been able to locate any leaves locally. 

I think you may be able to source some frozen ones in Asian markets if you have any near you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tinyfish said:

Great cook. The meat got a nice smoke ring.

this was my first time using the smoke pot. I wanted to use mesquite and only had chips but it did a great job. Funny how little smoke you actually see coming from the dome but you could smell it. Everyone that had it talked about the flavor and the word was "refreshing" compared to the usual southern bbq. Not sure if it was due to the banana leaves or the smoke pot or a combination.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, tony b said:

Thanks for the recipe. I copied it from the website, too. Just ordered some SYD Hot rub from Amazon. I've seen the banana leaves at the local Asian market, so I'll have to go shopping this week. 

let me know if you use any variations. I think next time I will use more rub and source a bone-in butt. This was tasty though, had leftovers for lunch just by itself.