ckreef

Grilling Tofu???

This is going to be fun I know what I'm doing I take it though we can use other ingredients but must have the 4 tofu, Apple, corn and the sriracha sauce. I've never tried the Sauce I don't mind a bit of a tang but can't handle taste bud burning lol. I know it's a challenge so I can't give you any tips sorry mate lol. Tofu can be deep fried bbq steamed boiled . stir fried. For bbq as I have had before make sure you buy the right tofu for what you are cooking there a different types of tofu soft for creamy dishes and firm for grilling which ever one you get try and press out the liquid soft more liquid than firm. if you want to grill tofu get rid of liquid bit of paper towel and press and pat it down cut it up and using a toothpick poke some holes then marinade it for half a day the tofu will absorb the marinade making it a lot better cooking marinated tofu in a pan on the stove only takes 3 min each side. Like I said I can't give you any tips sorry mate lol

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

I used extra firm tofu and cut it into slabs that were a bit larger than 1/4" and tried drying them on paper towels. I put towels on the bottom, covered with more, and used a sheet pan to try to get even pressure. I changed out the paper towels and did it again.

I still didn't get them dry enough to get a good, fast sear on them but it worked well enough.

ETA: I just saw @MacKenziesmoked tofu - dang, I wish I woulda thought of that!

Edited by cschaaf

42 minutes ago, Aussie Ora said:

if I ever get to the states and you serve me tofu shame on you lol

Outback Kamado Bar and Grillemoji621.png

Now that made me laugh.

Come visit the Bistro. No worries you won't be served tofu. I do have one more tofu idea I want to try. After that I probably won't serve myself tofu ever again. 

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 1

I actually have an idea for this challenge, but looking at my work travel and planned cook schedules, don't think I have the time to experiment with it. If anyone wants to take it, feel free. The idea is this:

Nashville Hot "Chicken" and Apple-Corn Fritter Waffles

The waffles are just that. Belgian waffles with chunks of apple and corn. Probably a bit of cinnamon. Maybe something else too.

The chicken -- get this -- it's tofu! :smt002  Probably take a chunk of extra firm tofu, drain it, smoke it for a bit to add flavor, then tear into chunks, bread it, and fry in a cast iron skillet on the KK at around 400. This part needs some experimenting.

The "hot" part is Maple Syrup with sriracha (proportions TBD). 

Put "chicken" on waffle, then drizzle with the maple-sriracha syrup.

Sounds good enough I may actually try this someday with actual chicken. 

• Like 4

On 10/5/2016 at 8:58 AM, HalfSmoke said:

I actually have an idea for this challenge, but looking at my work travel and planned cook schedules, don't think I have the time to experiment with it. If anyone wants to take it, feel free. The idea is this:

Nashville Hot "Chicken" and Apple-Corn Fritter Waffles

The waffles are just that. Belgian waffles with chunks of apple and corn. Probably a bit of cinnamon. Maybe something else too.

The chicken -- get this -- it's tofu! :smt002  Probably take a chunk of extra firm tofu, drain it, smoke it for a bit to add flavor, then tear into chunks, bread it, and fry in a cast iron skillet on the KK at around 400. This part needs some experimenting.

The "hot" part is Maple Syrup with sriracha (proportions TBD). 

Put "chicken" on waffle, then drizzle with the maple-sriracha syrup.

Sounds good enough I may actually try this someday with actual chicken. 

I actually like the sound of this one.. I think you need to just do it.. I'm curious.