MacKenzie

Pork Dinner

When I was in Halifax the other day I picked up a slice of boneless pork leg. I can't remember the type of pie and how they are raised but needless to say not in a barn with a 1 000 other pigs. I believe these are free range pigs. Anyway the meat looked so good I though I'd try it. Also was given some whiskey barrel wood by a great friend who also has a brewery that makes grand slam beer. Picked up some of that too. :drinkers:

Here is my smoking pot with some of the barrel wood in it and the edge is all ready to seal.

Pot with Wood.jpg

Sealed and wiped clean. I do not like the smell of burning flour.:(

Pot Sealed.jpg

Here are the veggies ready to be lightly covered with foil and put on the grill. Those 3 carrots were right out of the garden, a light scrub, and no need to peal. 

Pork is on the grill and I have the veggies underneath in cast iron dishes and foil loosely over the top and there is a space between for smoke to pass thru.:)

Veggies Ready for KK.jpg

Pork on KK.jpg

Look at the white fat. :) So clean looking even though I have spiced up the pork.

Pork Steak on KKl.jpg

Grilled starting out at 275F and I let it climb to 300F. Took about an hour to cook. I didn't exactly have my act together so the IT temp was a little higher than I wanted, 147F.

Pork Steak on Grill.jpg

Pork Steak Done.jpg

The meat was very moist and full of flavour.

I neglected to mention that the aroma from the smoking pot was the sweetest I've ever smelled.

Pork Sliced.jpg

Roasted Potatoes.jpg

The carrots were awesome.

Roasted Carrots.jpg

Plated.

Pork and Veggies.jpg

Pork Interior.jpg

The KK is cooled enough to pull out the smoking pot and see what's inside. I did have to pry the lid off so I guess that water/flour seal worked.

Lump.jpg

• Like 5

Real pork!   We're getting back and away, at least on small lot specialty farms, from the detestable "other white meat" of the pork industry machine.   

As always MacKenzie, very nice post and tasty looking food pics!

Edited by dstr8

12 hours ago, dstr8 said:

Real pork!   We're getting back and away, at least on small lot specialty farms, from the detestable "other white meat" of the pork industry machine.   

As always MacKenzie, very nice post and tasty looking food pics!

:smt023 :smt023

Real piggy rocks! As Dan said, "other white meat" - bleech! Best part of living here in Iowa is the great heritage pork that's readily available (OK, sweet corn in summer's not too shabby either!)

• Like 1