tomahawk66

First pulled pork shoulder

First pulled pork shoulder I've ever done and I know it won't be the last!!

It was a 5.5kg shoulder including the picnic end but the upper shoulder looked weird... the butt looked really thin although the blade bone was in there...

Set up the KK in the evening with a big piece of Hickory (didn't have an axe to split it!) Nestled in some coco char. lit a spot under each end of the wood and let it come up to temp while I prepped the meat.

565cd7fc940c89ebd84246d760b6c7e9.jpg

Rubbed with a paprika, brown sugar, garlic etc mix:

8e5ce218de9f083503e9eba985a27936.jpg

Plan was for 225F but most of the cook was at around 235. The wood certainly made the temp more variable than usual - I want to get the cold smoker so I can use that to control smoke in future.

Putting it to bed:

99667892217b865de147fe1bd7540f50.jpg

Started the cook at midnight. The next morning I prepped a couple of racks of baby back ribs as we had some folks coming to celebrate SWMBO'S birthday and it looked like wed need more than just the pulled pork!

b23b660b87c35b095fda93793c808aa0.jpg

cdf10157969daebcd91cca74c9bb0679.jpg

That's a fair amount of meat but R2D2 wasn't even close to full:

170aed6a267bfdbb052b38356ea3bc73.jpg

Guests were due at 1pm so I was lucky they got held up - didn't want to use foil but the stall was insane - hovered at 160F for four hours... had to wrap and even then it only hit my target 203F IT at 3pm after I put the heat up to 275 for an hour.

Ribs came off first and kept everyone happy, including my friends 16month old daughter! (I always do a low salt rack for the little ones!)

0efb51cbd2b1c484b16a254688b07984.jpg

And then the pulling began:

10b845501446a151e140e051427aa794.jpg

17eff32fe79795d72ecd5faf5eac7bec.jpg

Pretty clean bones!

2a7ce42a7fc7602eb10ccc7c97c557db.jpg

3b78d43c02b725b03a4d982f6d45b197.jpg

28673b8d7132a2c02f2fd13b9b60d7c1.jpg

It's was excellent! Made up a batch of "hogwash" courtesy of a recipe shared with me by Ken Walker, the owner of Bubba's Texas BBQ in Shanghai. I'm sworn to secrecy but it's a yellow mustard and apple cider vinegar based sauce and I love it so much I'm tempted to do shots of it! Here's the finished product:

68bf7518e651a3a42375ca9a4cacc91c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Nicely done! That's a lot of racks of ribs, must have been a good sized party! 

And, what a little cutie, that one! 

Sounds like a classic South Carolina style sauce. Here's my go-to that I copied back in the day from the old POSK Forum:

• 3/4 cup mustard
  • 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2T melted butter
  • 2T Worcestershire
  • 2T cracked  black pepper
  • 1/2t salt
  • 1/2t tabasco

Whisk  it all up and there you go.

Nicely done! That's a lot of racks of ribs, must have been a good sized party! 

And, what a little cutie, that one! 

Sounds like a classic South Carolina style sauce. Here's my go-to that I copied back in the day from the old POSK Forum:

• 3/4 cup mustard
  • 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2T melted butter
  • 2T Worcestershire
  • 2T cracked  black pepper
  • 1/2t salt
  • 1/2t tabasco
Whisk  it all up and there you go.

Interesting... this sauce is quite different looking at the proportions, the hogwash is basically 1 part mustard to 1 part sugar and 2 parts apple cider vinegar plus smaller amounts of other flavors. So it's quite a liquid sauce.

Awesome looking pork. I now cook my butts at 275-300 and have not noticed a difference in the final product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if one of the folks with 2 KKs will one day do a side by side: the right and left shoulders of one pig - 1 at 225 and one at 295 in identical KKs lol!!

9 hours ago, tomahawk66 said:

Interesting... this sauce is quite different looking at the proportions, the hogwash is basically 1 part mustard to 1 part sugar and 2 parts apple cider vinegar plus smaller amounts of other flavors. So it's quite a liquid sauce.

It's still pretty loose, not as liquid as a classic North Carolina vinegar/pepper sauce, but not nearly as thick as a ketchup/molasses based one. 

Nice job there mate, you knocked it out of the park.

Interesting place to put the ribs, im going to have to try that.

Did you cook it with a diffuser or drip pan in over the coals?

Drip pan over the basket as a deflector, I had the ribs flat on the lower grate and in a rib racks on the main grate - only way I could fit them all in!

How do you usually position your ribs? Next time I would do it different as the ribs need more tending than the shoulder and it was a pain in the butt to get to them!!

I think your set up was perfect yeah a bit of mucking around but you done well 13 racks and a sholdar

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Too much mucking around moving the butt to get to the ribs - got lazy and the ribs went over a bit. Will definitely do it the other way around next time.

As for how much I could fit on... I reckon I might be asked to do brisket and butts for a street party in March next year and I think I could get upward of 40+kg of meat on there...

• Like 1