bryan

Spatchcocked Turkey

Thanks tony b. I use the port for the grill temp probe and run the other for the bird but it’s too big to pass through the rubber grommet so I go under lid. Still a good deal and no issue with heat loss in my 32”. 

Turkey was amazing and unbelievably, very little leftovers from this big 24 lb’r. 

5C9F0BB1-5308-4E97-9091-88ADEBFA5CAE.jpeg

38DDF8BD-AB78-4643-B77B-FAD538E3508D.jpeg

748074F1-F5F3-4CAE-AD59-C12B79009DC1.jpeg

Edited by Ancaster Fire BBQ
  • Like 4

On 12/26/2018 at 9:33 PM, Ancaster Fire BBQ said:

Maybe I need to change them to some with a larger diameter hole? Not sure. All good none the less!

Took me a few tries before I discovered it but if you weren’t aware the grommet has a slit in the side.  Rather than trying to run the probe through it, you might try popping out the grommet, running your probes in first then putting the grommet back in last.  If the wires end up partially in the slit it won’t impact performance.

BTW awesome cook.  I burnt a turkey to a crisp last weekend on the rotisserie.  Operator error.  My son had back to back basketball games and I was in a hurry to get out the door.  I forgot to adjust the top vent back down from initial lighting.  Instead of settling in at 325 it went 2 1/2 hours at 525.  By the time we got back it had internal temp of over 200 degrees.  About as dry as the Griswold family Christmas turkey.  Still laughing about that one!

Edited by DJM
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Hello all.  Its been a while since I have visited the site.  I have been doing mostly high temp steaks and everything is going well.  Getting the hang of how much lump to use.  I have been using extruded coconut from Dennis.  It works great but it can be a little more difficult to get it up to temp.  I think I was just not using enough lump.  I have also been using a torch and paraffin balls. and that seems to help.

It is the day before thanksgiving and I am going to do a 15lb turkey, spatchcocked and I am also doing a 9 pound turkey breast.  Will I be able to do them both on my 23'?  I was thinking the breast on the lower and the turkey on the top.  My grill was an older one and it did come with a heavy stone for indirect heating.  I was planning on using it but it seems I have heard that with these grills indirect is not a big issue?  My girlfriend makes great gravey so I won't be needing a pan underneath.   I still have and use my 25 year old K7 and can also use that for the breast if need be?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

19 minutes ago, merrill said:

Hello all.  Its been a while since I have visited the site.  I have been doing mostly high temp steaks and everything is going well.  Getting the hang of how much lump to use.  I have been using extruded coconut from Dennis.  It works great but it can be a little more difficult to get it up to temp.  I think I was just not using enough lump.  I have also been using a torch and paraffin balls. and that seems to help.

It is the day before thanksgiving and I am going to do a 15lb turkey, spatchcocked and I am also doing a 9 pound turkey breast.  Will I be able to do them both on my 23'?  I was thinking the breast on the lower and the turkey on the top.  My grill was an older one and it did come with a heavy stone for indirect heating.  I was planning on using it but it seems I have heard that with these grills indirect is not a big issue?  My girlfriend makes great gravey so I won't be needing a pan underneath.   I still have and use my 25 year old K7 and can also use that for the breast if need be?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm going to spatch and cook on the upper rack with pan beneath for gravy. I think if you just laid some foil down on the "mid" rack, breast on main, spatched bird on top...you'd be fine.

• Like 1

I ended up doing a 16 pound spatchcocked Turkey on the mid grate and an 11 pound Turkey breast on the upper.  They were both fresh from a local very good meat store in Mason Mi called Merindorfs.  MY girlfriend likes to make her own gravy and we had three pounds of wings for that.

The cook took about 5 hours as I did the first hours at around 275.  Everybody at the table said it was the best most  moist Turkey they have ever eaten.  In fact three and 4 days later it was still very moist.  It was the first time I paid $3 to 4 dollars per pound but it won't be the last!

I tried to post some pics but couldn't get them to transfer from my cell phone.  I will try again later.

• Like 2