Pequod

Shrimp Étouffée

Growing up in the south [side of Chicago], we had a natural affinity for New Orleans cuisine [never heard of it...is that near Peoria?]. 

Start with trinity and minced garlic.

IMG_1855.jpg

Make a roux.

IMG_1856.jpg

Cook it until it looks like peanut butter.

IMG_1858.jpg

Add the trinity and garlic.

IMG_1859.jpg

Cook it down for 10 minutes, then add diced tomatoes, bay leaves, salt, cayenne, Emeril's Essence (BAM!).

IMG_1860.jpg

Cook that down for a few, then stir in a quart of shrimp stock (which I just so happened to have saved from a Summer shrimp boil for just such an occasion).

IMG_1862.jpg

Bring to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes.

IMG_1863.jpg

Season 3 pounds of thawed shrimp with more of Emeril's Essence (BAM! BAM!).

IMG_1864.jpg

Onto the lower grate of the KK. I want it hot enough to get a char without overcooking the shrimp.

IMG_1866.jpg

Nailed it.

IMG_1867.jpg

Add the shrimp and some chopped fresh parsley.

IMG_1868.JPG

Serve.

IMG_1870.jpg

My Creole [Dutch] mother would be proud!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

That looks terrific mate sounds and looks so tasty not heard of some of the ingredients before

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Here's a New Orlean's translator:

Trinity - a blend of diced onions, bell peppers, and celery that's common to creole and Cajun cooking. In this case it was a ratio of 2:1:1 of those ingredients.

Roux - pronounced like what comes after "kanga", it is a thickening agent made of equal part fat (butter in this case) and flour that is cooked. The longer you cook, the darker and more flavorful it gets, but also the less thickening "power" it has. Blonde is better at thickening, while brick red adds the most flavor. Peanut butter is in the middle. 

Emeril's Essence - a spice blend that was used frequently on Emeril's cooking show, usually with an exclamation of BAM!! Don't know if that show exported to your parts, but the recipe for essence is easily found online

Shrimp, per Wikipedia - The term shrimp is used to refer to some decapod crustaceans, although the exact animals covered can vary. Used broadly, it may cover any of the groups with elongated bodies and a primarily swimming mode of locomotion – most commonly Caridea and Dendrobranchiata;-):-P

Edited by HalfSmoke
  • Like 2

Here's a New Orlean's translator:

Trinity - a blend of diced onions, bell peppers, and celery that's common to creole and Cajun cooking. In this case it was a ratio of 2:1:1 of those ingredients.

Roux - pronounced like what comes after "kanga", it is a thickening agent made of equal part fat (butter in this case) and flour that is cooked. The longer you cook, the darker and more flavorful it gets, but also the less thickening "power" it has. Blonde is better at thickening, while brick red adds the most flavor. Peanut butter is in the middle. 

Emeril's Essence - a spice blend that was used frequently on Emeril's cooking show, usually with an exclamation of BAM!! Don't know if that show exported to your parts, but the recipe for essence is easily found online

Shrimp, per Wikipedia - The term shrimp is used to refer to some decapod crustaceans, although the exact animals covered can vary. Used broadly, it may cover any of the groups with elongated bodies and a primarily swimming mode of locomotion – most commonly Caridea and Dendrobranchiata;-):-P

Cheers for the explanation this looks doable

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, ckreef said:

Great looking cook. That slide show video was pretty kewl. 

I thought so too, although creeped me out a bit because I only uploaded ONE pic from that cook and FB offered to make a slide show out of several. Not only that, it removed duplicate or near duplicate shots in that folder and selected the best ones. I work with artificial intellligence professionally, and that creeped even me out. That said, I need to figure out how to coax it to make such vids for me in the future...would save me a lot of time with posting cooks! :smt003

• Like 1