ckreef

"Red Lump"

My friend on Guru ordered a LG from Korin about a month ago. His arrived two days ago. They are definitely filling orders as the containers come in. Korin is a pretty kewl company. You don't have to worry. When it comes in they'll ship it out and send a notification. It'll arrive a few days later. 

There's a few other items from Korin. One being a really sm round grill that I could put one piece of glowing lump in to keep a bottle of sake warm. I love hot shots of sake. 

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While not jumping on the bandwagon to get a grill from Korin, I did order some of their charcoal (5# bags of Sumi and Aramaru), along with some wine glasses (sounded like a nice deal @ $3.99 each). They had some very nice looking knives, but a tad out of my price range for most of them! Will try and do some side-by-side cooks in my cheapo yakitori grill (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003601SRA) with their charcoal and cocochar for comparison. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tony b said:

While not jumping on the bandwagon to get a grill from Korin, I did order some of their charcoal (5# bags of Sumi and Aramaru), along with some wine glasses (sounded like a nice deal @ $3.99 each). They had some very nice looking knives, but a tad out of my price range for most of them! Will try and do some side-by-side cooks in my cheapo yakitori grill (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003601SRA) with their charcoal and cocochar for comparison. 

I like this thread. I'll look forward to your thoughts on that charcoal. I ordered some of the same(the white binchotan was way out of my price range) to try, but they won't be shipping that to me until they fulfill the whole order including the grill.

I've been using Rockwood and Fogo Premium and a precious little bit of Dennis' Coco char since I got my KK. The flavor of my food has benefited from the switch from mass market char. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ckreef said:

Now you all have gone and done it. Need to order some Sumi and Aramaru to compare it to Marabu. 

That about settles it, you even speak Japanese.  I watched Shogun but, the words aren't familiar. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, ckreef said:

Now you all have gone and done it. Need to order some Sumi and Aramaru to compare it to Marabu. 

OMG, this is all your fault anyway!!! I've looked at those grills for years and had nearly forgotten them until you brought them up! Just when I thought I was out, you dragged me back in!!! :smt064 

Wtf, we may as well have fun with it...:drinkers::smt039

For F***'s sake, I'm going to resist buying a wfo, so Charlane doesn't leave me...! :axe:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, amusedtodeath said:

OMG, this is all your fault anyway!!! I've looked at those grills for years and had nearly forgotten them until you brought them up! Just when I thought I was out, you dragged me back in!!! :smt064 

Wtf, we may as well have fun with it...:drinkers::smt039

For F***'s sake, I'm going to resist buying a wfo, so Charlane doesn't leave me...! :axe:

Hey what are friends for anyway ;)

Just wait until fall when I really have my act together and have you and Charlane over for pizza with Konro appetizers. We'll see how long you resist a WFO after that - LOL 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, amusedtodeath said:

It's funny you put it that way as I have a similar story. I've probably told this before but I'll tell it again. 

Chapter 1: The mythical Konro grill.

A few years ago I wanted a Yakitori grill and found Konro's on the Korin website but they were on backorder. I'll wait it out. How long can they stay on backorder anyway? Well I kept checking and checking. Two years later they were still on backorder. At this point I figured Konro's were just some mythical grill, only seen in videos but never available. I gave up, put them out of my mind and bought a cheapie Yakitori grill. I was relatively happy in my grilling life. 

Charter 2: Japanese knife obsession. 

This February I got on the idea of finding a perfectly sized and shaped Japanese knife for me. I looked around and just couldn't find what I was looking for. I started looking in every website that sells Japanese knives. I ended up back on the Korin website. They didn't have my perfect knife but while there I figured I would daydream some more about that mythical Konro grill. A few clicks later and Wow! The web page has changed. Seems like they are about to come off of backorder. Could this be real? I slapped my face and rubbed my eyes. Yea I'm awake. It seems to good to be true. A quick conversation with Mrs skreef and a LG Konro was ordered. A month and a half wait and the Konro was sitting on my porch. The end to a 3 year odyssey :)

Final Chapter: Who's fault is it anyway. 

There's a friend on Guru named Ben. He makes custom Japanese knife handles. I was encouraging him along as he started his custom knife handle adventure. In turn he really got me hooked on Japanese knives. From that, the obsession to find my perfect Japanese knife was born. It was that obsession that got me back on the Korin website, which led me to order the mythical Konro grill. So there you have it. We're blaming this all on Ben - LOL 

The End - Happy Yakitori 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, amusedtodeath said:

I've got a medium backordered through Kirin, expected arrival is "summer"...:shock:  You can get a large sooner, "early June". 

Sorry, @tekobo, I meant Korin... In case you were going to look. I'm pretty sure this is the mothership for konro grills. 

When I saw this I thought, @amusedtodeath has forgotten that I live in the UK.  Why would I want to order a grill from the US with all the extra shipping and tax costs?  Why indeed?  Of course I could not resist going onto the korin site.  Even with a hefty delivery charge and estimated UK tax of about 22%, buying a large konro from the US works out £100 cheaper than buying one here.  Wow. 

I called up the korin folk and they say that the ETA for out of stock items is for customers with back orders and that new orders may not be fulfilled until the winter.  I am willing to take a chance on that but I am still waiting on news of a refund from my non-responsive supplier here (they are based in the Netherlands).  If that gets sorted I will be straight onto korin.  Thanks for the tip, I think.  No more shopping after this.  Although your binchotan is so much cheaper than ours that I might sneak a little bit into my shipment.  I really should stop reading stuff on this forum!

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, tekobo said:

I really should stop reading stuff on this forum!

Yes, we are quite the enablers on here! Between toys/gadgets, rubs/sauces, charcoal, etc., I've spent quite a bit of coin because of you people! And, I've been the instigator in several of these mass shopping sprees myself, so a big mea culpa there!!

• Like 4

Ok, I just lit some red lump. I’m doing steaks, so I’m going hot, about 700°-750°. This stuff has a strange smell, I’m not crazy about it. We’ll see about the flavor. 

On a side note, I tried fogo premium, and liked it a lot. It didn’t have the super big chunks the super premium did, this is a good thing.