Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JDBBQ

wrap my butt?

Quick question... I put a butt (8 lb) on last night - about 12 hours ago.  KK holding around 230 over night. Butt now at 175.

I will eat for dinner - about 7 hours from now.

Planning on taking it up to maybe 203 (splitting diff b/t 200 and 205).

Do you guys wrap in paper / foil at this point on the KK?  (I don't recall that I have wrapped butts before)

Once done I plan to let it sit in foil, towel, cooler for a couple / few hours.

Thanks

My pork butts, cooker at 220f until internal hits 195f, then wrap in double foil, put in cooler and hold until I am ready to pull it, usually 3-4 hours later.

Cook time is usually 16-18 hours. I start at 6pm or so day 1, then I am ready even if it is a lunch event day 2.

When you wrap and put in a cooler, it stays piping hot, probably carries over into the 200-205 range (never checked) and keeps it juices.

Gotta say Tucker likes it low and slow and that is, as I have posted once before, a patience thing, no rush.  Le naturel. For moi, I believe temp to 160 at a slow rate and then cranking the heat up to 300 and wrapping in foil to at least 200 or 205. Wrap in a towel and sit  for an hour or more, choice.  Works for me but, there is nothing wrong with Tucker's approach, except I don't have the time. Best of luck

Thanks guys.  I ended up not wrapping.  Just took off at 203 and wrapped and into cooler.  Will pull and eat in about 3 hours.  Threw some ribs on too and they are still cooking.

Picture shows on the kk and then just before wrapping up to go into cooler.

IMG_4860.jpg

IMG_4862.jpg

• Like 3

Excellent job! 

FWIW - I never wrap pork butts on the KK, only to hold in the cooler afterwards. BUT (pun intended!), I ALWAYS wrap beef briskets in pink butcher paper after the stall (170F - ish) for the remainder of the cook (203F).