Pequod

Memorial Day Cook

Wife has to work on the actual day, so doing our cook today and having guests. 

Full arsenal today. The 32 smoking a brisket. Fired up the coals last night, hence the CyberQ to hold it at low temp overnight. Then ramped it up this AM for a Franklin style brisket using the smoke pot over coco char.

EC6ED2EA-FFF7-47FE-9E35-2B9045A77CCD.thumb.jpeg.a6d3f57f77fe858a65656659757d7758.jpeg

4243DBA5-5AA8-444D-B5C1-0BC1DE8FEB11.thumb.jpeg.476c86f40cdbd3e308534891b81886ec.jpeg

Bad lighting, but the boys together.

8936EF0B-D8D5-4406-B2F6-5F15D37D316D.thumb.jpeg.4e4c188bf66681d64940cc9a9da38d6d.jpeg

And on the 23 we have some ABT’s over coco char with apple wood.

A803A3BE-579E-4DCF-9932-2D323E9D53B1.thumb.jpeg.f4cb26eca5392cf81ee18ea3230c579c.jpeg

More later if I remember pics.

Cooked ABT’s. 

D645539F-D045-40B1-A4C9-85CE83824D5F.thumb.jpeg.d6e9804f26f143c16456f2cddfc0fda3.jpeg

Edited by Pequod
  • Like 9

Looking good. 

Have me a butt going on just before bed. Grill and butt is prepped and ready to go. In the mean time I'm cooking up 2 different BBQ sauces. A vinegar based and Mrs skreef's sweet girlie tomato based sauce. I might run to the store in the morning and get the ingredients for a mustard based sauce. 

• Like 1

If anybody is up and about here is a link to my live feed graph for tonight's overnight Boston butt. This is in the Primo Oval Jr using Fogo Marabu lump. This should continue until sometime tomorrow. Normally I would do this cook in my 19" Komodo Kamado but I wanted to test out this Oval Jr Go setup before I take it on vacation to my sister's house in a couple of weeks. 

It does take Marabu a bit longer to get get going but it finally got there. 

https://sharemycook.com/Cook/Detail/a90caf52-9bd6-48bf-8e1c-f7dfd5a5b8e9

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 1

So that was almost a disaster. Just before going to bed Mrs skreef was worried about the wires and the stupid cats. So like any bad husband I listened to her and started messing with the probe wires. Something happened and the pit probe stopped working correctly. It was giving a false low reading which caused the fan to stay on and not turn off. That would not do. 

Fortunately I had my ThermaQ dome probe going along with a ThermaQ meat probe inserted into the meat also. I turned off and removed the CyberQ setup and went old school. It's cruising along and I'll post the ThermaQ graphs once this is all over. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

So that was almost a disaster. Just before going to bed Mrs skreef was worried about the wires and the stupid cats. So like any bad husband I listened to her and started messing with the probe wires. Something happened and the pit probe stopped working correctly. It was giving a false low reading which caused the fan to stay on and not turn off. That would not do. 

Fortunately I had my ThermaQ dome probe going along with a ThermaQ meat probe inserted into the meat also. I turned off and removed the CyberQ setup and went old school. It's cruising along and I'll post the ThermaQ graphs once this is all over. 

Weird on the pit temp failure. I had an issue once where the fan just stuck on high and it kept raising temp well beyond the target. Ended up unplugging and taking the controls myself. Never figured that one out.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Pequod said:

Weird on the pit temp failure. I had an issue once where the fan just stuck on high and it kept raising temp well beyond the target. Ended up unplugging and taking the controls myself. Never figured that one out.

When I moved the wires I pulled on the pit probe wire just a little bit and the temperature took an immediate nose dive. Wiggled it some more and temperature shot right back up. Wiggled it again and it took another nose dive. In the end it stayed low and the fan never shut off.  That's when I knew if I wanted to get any sleep I just had to set the vents and go to bed. I'm a little bummed about this.

The butt ended up finishing in record time but I was cruising close to 300*. It's now in a cooler resting and homemade baked beans are on the kamado doing their thing.

Makes me wonder why I even bought a controller. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

When I moved the wires I pulled on the pit probe wire just a little bit and the temperature took an immediate nose dive. Wiggled it some more and temperature shot right back up. Wiggled it again and it took another nose dive. In the end it stayed low and the fan never shut off.  That's when I knew if I wanted to get any sleep I just had to set the vents and go to bed. I'm a little bummed about this.

The butt ended up finishing in record time but I was cruising close to 300*. It's now in a cooler resting and homemade baked beans are on the kamado doing their thing.

That sound like you have a faulty pit probe. The BBQ Guru folks should replace that for you.

As far as why use a controller...I tend to agree. Only time I use mine is when I light the coals the night before and then idle KK at a low temp until morning. That way it is already heat soaked and I can put the meat on as soon as I get up. I could remove the controller at this point, but if it’s behaving then no need.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ckreef said:

I agree.  I keep mine, with all its probes, because I think there will be a cook sometime in the future that demands the security and ease of a controller.  In practice I would do better to put it up for sale to someone who would actually use it!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pequod said:

Well...I failed to get pics of the finished brisket. Suffice to say it was one of the best briskets I’ve done to date. Truly superb. You’ll have to take my word for it. <_<

Reading through the entire thread, there is no visual proof of an actual brisket. I'm sure it was good though (wink wink)

:smt046

I will say the ABT's looked awesome.

• Haha 3