ckreef

New Truck plus Special Teaser Picture

3 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

It is an Argentine bbq. :) 

Now that is a smart woman ;)

Get the Beach Boys in your head and sing this chorus with me.... 

"We'll have fun, fun, fun till my wife takes the MAPP torch away......."

I had to try my hand at lyric matching - LOL 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, tekobo said:

Oooh.  I shall be so jealous if it is!!!

@MacKenzie is a smart woman. Not a super high end model (they get into KK pricing or more) but a smaller version just the same.(still not cheap) 

My KK's I use on a regular basis during the week. (2 or 3 nights per week) Very dependable and will do whatever I ask of them. The reality is kamados don't really have the fun factor. When I cook on the weekend I want the fun factor. My Konro Yakitori grill and Wood Fired Oven definitely have the fun factor for weekend cooks. This grill should also have the fun factor but in a bit different way. 

Edited by ckreef

47 minutes ago, ckreef said:

@MacKenzie is a smart woman. Not a super high end model (they get into KK pricing or more) but a smaller version just the same.(still not cheap) 

My KK's I use on a regular basis during the week. (2 or 3 nights per week) Very dependable and will do whatever I ask of them. The reality is kamados don't really have the fun factor. When I cook on the weekend I want the fun factor. My Konro Yakitori grill and Wood Fired Oven definitely have the fun factor for weekend cooks. This grill should also have the fun factor but in a bit different way. 

No flies on @MacKenzie.  Correction, there are flies at this time of year in Nova Scotia but Mac is indeed a smart woman.

And you are a very lucky man.  Our old Argentinian grill, which we gave away to make space for the KKs, was relatively cheap and came direct from Argentina.  It was also a rust bucket and needed regular re-painting.  Looking forward to seeing yours and hoping, one day, to find the money to buy a better quality replacement for grilling here too.  I am so jealous that I "reached out" to Ox Grills, as recommended by @Braai-Q, to find out what they can do.  See what you made me do???  

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, tekobo said:

No flies on @MacKenzie.  Correction, there are flies at this time of year in Nova Scotia but Mac is indeed a smart woman.

And you are a very lucky man.  Our old Argentinian grill, which we gave away to make space for the KKs, was relatively cheap and came direct from Argentina.  It was also a rust bucket and needed regular re-painting.  Looking forward to seeing yours and hoping, one day, to find the money to buy a better quality replacement for grilling here too.  I am so jealous that I "reached out" to Ox Grills, as recommended by @Braai-Q, to find out what they can do.  See what you made me do???  

Well this one is painted steel made in Argentina. It does have a full length cover so hopefully I can keep the rust at bay. 

Kalamazoo makes a really nice SS version. Unfortunately it starts at $25k. A bit pricey for me :(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ckreef said:

Well this one is painted steel made in Argentina. It does have a full length cover so hopefully I can keep the rust at bay. 

Kalamazoo makes a really nice SS version. Unfortunately it starts at $25k. A bit pricey for me :(

I can't wait to see your new toy installed and working.  I couldn't help looking up the Kalamazoo site to figure out what would warrant a $25K price tag. :smt017  Their grills do look very flash but they take a big part of the fun away by installing great big gas burners to start your wood fire.  I don't think you are missing anything by not buying one of those.  And yes, a cover would have been a good idea for our grill. 

• Like 1

The grill arrived at about 2 pm. I got it uncrated and basically put together and in place. Then work called and off to a special project I had to go. So much for my 1/2 day off work. Anyway I snapped a couple sneak preview pictures. Will do a proper thread later this weekend. 

Lined with firebricks. The grate moves up and down with a lever/wheel arrangement. You can see the handle for the lever in the bottom left corner. Has a side brasero (firebox) and a warming/storage area (middle handle). Just the right size for me and Mrs skreef and the limited guests we might have. Full length cover. 

nkdsp1.thumb.jpg.35203a0865260cb25db179a6bd632eff.jpg

nkdsp2.thumb.jpg.19f1364017337d8f1565e7f4313df709.jpg

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 6

26 minutes ago, Pequod said:

Really like the look of that. Perfect size. Got a link?

I bought it from BBQguys. Not the manufacturer page but has links to a couple kewl videos. 

It really is the right size for us and the price was doable for a every now and then kind of grill. Fit and finish had a few minor issues. Obviously not KK quality but not bad for being a low end Argentine style grill. 

https://www.bbqguys.com/nuke/delta-argentinian-style-gaucho-grill-delta02

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

CK, looks pretty snazzy, you are going to have fun fun fun with that gem. :smt060

Looking forward to seeing more pixs. :) 

When I sang the song to Mrs skreef she came up with her own version. 

"You're going to have fun, fun, fun till your wife takes the checkbook away......" :(

LOL

• Haha 3

Good looking set up and the cover is a great bonus.  Looking carefully at the grill bars I think they have missed a trick and that you may want to rectify it with a DIY solution if/when Mrs skreef lets you near the cheque book again. :shock:  One of the awesome advantages of an Argentinian grill is the way the v shaped grill bars collect fat and drain it into a removable box gutter that runs along the front of the grill bars.  That really cuts flare ups and makes it a great grill for cooking hot and fast or even low (in this case raised high above the coals) and slow.  I'd hate you to miss out on that feature.  

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, tekobo said:

Good looking set up and the cover is a great bonus.  Looking carefully at the grill bars I think they have missed a trick and that you may want to rectify it with a DIY solution if/when Mrs skreef lets you near the cheque book again. :shock:  One of the awesome advantages of an Argentinian grill is the way the v shaped grill bars collect fat and drain it into a removable box gutter that runs along the front of the grill bars.  That really cuts flare ups and makes it a great grill for cooking hot and fast or even low (in this case raised high above the coals) and slow.  I'd hate you to miss out on that feature.  

Yea that is the one main feature it is lacking. I can cook around that for now. 

Also the grate height only has so much adjustment. It'll probably take a bit more coal management compared to a wheel setup that raises way up.