coolpapabill

Starting charcoal and maintaining temperature

As posted below I picked up a new to me KK 23" Ultimate . I've had a Kamado Joe for awhile,

but understand that the procedure for lighting charcoal is slightly different in a Komodo Kamado.

Would be interested in the basic lighting procedure different people use.

Also what are the settings for the top and bottom vents for various temperatures . I understand

each KK can be slightly different.  Thanks ahead of time.

• Like 1

I use a MAP torch to light the center of the charcoal pile. I usually employ the basket splitter unless I am doing a lot of food. I use extruded coconut charcoal from amazon with pretty consistent success. I open the bottom vent to wide open, and the top vent to 1.5 turns for most cooks. This gets it to 400 degrees in about 20 mins. I am much more conservative (half to quarter open for bottom, and quarter to eighth open for top) for low and slow cooks. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I also use a MAPP torch, about a 30 second blast, followed with a hand-held air blower until I see a nice glow going. I mostly use either Rockwood or Fogo lump charcoals. Both are a tad hard to light, similar to the cocochar and coffee wood, from Dennis. 

I generally open the vents fairly wide open until I see the temps start to rise and get near my target (within 50F). Then I close them down to where they should be for my target temps, unless I'm using the Guru - where I close the bottom vent completely and have the top vent just barely off the seat, to force the Guru to do all the work. 

• Like 1

First I pull the basket and shake it down to remove the ash and move the coals. The smalls tend to cover the bottom restricting airflow so I do my best to give myself an open area with larger pieces. While the baskets out I also inspect the shroud near the air vents and clean around it if necessary. Fresh coals go on the top and I use the Mapp torch also  for 30 + sec in a creviced area to push the flame in down to penetrate. I can't speak for all but I feel a good dose of the torch is a key component, if your cheap it'll come back to haunt you. Open the vents comfortably wide and as the temp rises trim your excess to come into your working temp. It does require considerably a bit more time than your Joe simply because of mass but just start a little earlier.

I too use a MAPP torch but I'd use that even if I had a KJ. I would start with the same procedure you use for the KJ and tweak the process from there. 

In a KK the top vent can go up to 6 turns open. With that said I never open more than 3 turns and usually top vent 1 1/2 to 2 turns open is more than a sufficient starting point for whatever you're trying to achieve. 

Thanks everyone. First cook today went well. Lighting charcoal was pretty straight forward . I use a torch as well.

Had to fiddle with top vent a little to zero in on temp wanted , didn't touch bottom vent it was barley opened.

Once stabilized at 225 it barely moved , less than 5 degrees either way , for 6 hours I was blown away.

• Like 2

I am also new to this KK thing and I can't get it blazing hot.  

I've used a MAPP torch, blow dryer, and also Weber paraffin cubes.

As for fuel, I've used Fogo, Rockwood, and Dennis' coco char.

I've been dying to make pizza, but I can't really get it about 450.

Yes, I have cleared out the smalls, aligned the coco char to maximize airflow.  

Help!

@lemisfits Do you have the top vent 4 to 6 turns open? I believe I've read the coco char is hard to light. Have you tried starting some Rockwood then adding coco char on top?

I use a chimney. For hot cooks I'll start by digging a hole (so to speak) in the middle of my charcoal and start the chimney in the hole. Once the charcoal in the chimney is going I'll dump it in the hole and add fresh charcoal on top. I have no problem achieving 700°+F. For the vents I open the bottom fully and 4 or so turns on the top vent.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, lemisfits said:

I am also new to this KK thing and I can't get it blazing hot.  

I've used a MAPP torch, blow dryer, and also Weber paraffin cubes.

As for fuel, I've used Fogo, Rockwood, and Dennis' coco char.

I've been dying to make pizza, but I can't really get it about 450.

Yes, I have cleared out the smalls, aligned the coco char to maximize airflow.  

Help!

Something is not right. Can you explain what your vent settings were. I have a theory for your problem but would want to know what you did with your vents first. 

I've never had a problem getting a KK to go nuclear and I highly doubt it's the lump as long as you had it totally full up to the lump basket handles. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ckreef said:

Something is not right. Can you explain what your vent settings were. I have a theory for your problem but would want to know what you did with your vents first. 

I've never had a problem getting a KK to go nuclear and I highly doubt it's the lump as long as you had it totally full up to the lump basket handles. 

After every cook, I shop vac all of the ashes and clear out the charcoal.

I have pulled out the bottom vents, opened up the left and right vents.

For the top vents, I have opened it one whole turn, half turns, three turns.  I have tried almost all combinations.  

I have filled up the whole basket, filled up a split basket.

Please let me know what your theory is?

14 minutes ago, Pequod said:

@lemisfits - I may have missed it, but have you confirmed that your temp reading is correct? Compared with different thermometers? Put the KK therm in boiling water, etc? Don’t mean to offend by suggesting the obvious, but just in case... Would be good to rule out busted therm as the culprit.

I haven't done that yet, but my KK is only 6 months old.  It could be the culprit though.

I have a thermoworks oven thermometer that I can use to check.

Edited by lemisfits

Just now, lemisfits said:

I haven't done that yet, but my KK is only 6 months old.  It could be the culprit though.

My old Kamado Joe came with a busted therm. I had similar issues. It happens. Finally figured it out using the techniques suggested above. 

I like the odd ribs every now and then .I used to subscribe to bringing my temp close to my desired temp then adjust accordingly. But have come to the realize many moons ago this Barbie is a beast and can handle a hard start .If I want 250 to 300 range Temp I use two to three natural wood fire lighters, fully open both bottom vents and spin the top vent 3 or 4 turns and wait till it's burning add the top and bottom grate shut lid and bring to 400 the time it takes me to open up the lid remove both grates add wood replace grates and add alfoil Ora is sitting at about 250 to 300 I let it ride for a few minutes then close the right circle vent and bring the left to about a quarter and close the top to about half a spin .sits perfect everytime

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Aussie Ora said:

I like the odd ribs every now and then .I used to subscribe to bringing my temp close to my desired temp then adjust accordingly. But have come to the realize many moons ago this Barbie is a beast and can handle a hard start .If I want 250 to 300 range Temp I use two to three natural wood fire lighters, fully open both bottom vents and spin the top vent 3 or 4 turns and wait till it's burning add the top and bottom grate shut lid and bring to 400 the time it takes me to open up the lid remove both grates add wood replace grates and add alfoil Ora is sitting at about 250 to 300 I let it ride for a few minutes then close the right circle vent and bring the left to about a quarter and close the top to about half a spin .sits perfect everytime

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Please send me the even ribs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

fire-starting.thumb.jpeg.b96423a9e416e2678016ae684a24db15.jpeg

I use a pair of propane weed burners to light charcoal, then a Milwaukee cordless leaf blower to blow sparks around everywhere.

I bought the second weed burner when the first one stops igniting. I then realized you really only need one to light itself, it can light the others. So I kept both. If you make a habit of using two burners, and one propane canister runs out, you still have the other.

Note the hose clamps, so I can balance the weed burners on the edge of the KK. Adjust to taste.

I've heard of MAPP gas. My trouble is I'm adequately handy at too many things, including sweating pipes for plumbing. I do it so infrequently that I forget I can't work quickly enough to use MAPP gas rather than propane. It's like landing a jet compared to a propeller plane. It all happens twice as fast, and it might go well... So I only stock propane.

In any case, once one gets a flame going, increasing the air supply does far more to establish the fire than continuing to apply an external flame. Dennis used to use a hair dryer. The Milwaukee leaf blower is pretty anemic for blowing leaves, which makes it perfect for getting fires going. If I actually want to clean up our yard without gasoline fumes, I use an EGO leaf blower that takes my EGO lawn mower battery. The dog charges me when I use it, she thinks I'm being misguided.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1