Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Komodo Kamado

Register now to gain access to all of our features, ask queries, discuss and lot's more!

Click here to Register!

CeramicChef

Syzygies Smoking Pot

88 posts in this topic

I've meant to try their green peppercorn and tarragon versions. However, I usually have 4 or 5 different mustards in the fridge at any given time, so there's not much room left - LOL! The bucket is just a cute outer package, there's a 15oz jar inside. But. I've found some good uses for the buckets, though. 

I have the green pepper but have not opened it yet

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, mguerra said:

The stuff in the pail is on amazon...

Thanks for the heads up

Here is my pot after yesterday's smoke. You can see the flour seal is baked but good too.

Smoking Pot.jpg

and inside a little newly formed lump. 

Inside The Smoking Pot.jpg

2 people like this

Nice. To me, that's the cool part - making your own lump charcoal - albeit only a few chunks at a time, but it's still way kewl! 

1 person likes this

Nice. To me, that's the cool part - making your own lump charcoal - albeit only a few chunks at a time, but it's still way kewl! 

I reckon the 42 could almost get you a bag lol

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

1 person likes this

Well I broke it.  My 32 has been lit since 10:30 and holding steady at 250. Pot has been on since 12 and not an ounce of smoke coming from the grill. Not even a hint of smoke smell almost 3 hours later.  I removed the pot and repositioned it and nothing.  

Ideas??

Is the pot actually sitting on red coals.  I had it not work once and I found that although the pot was sitting above hot coals there was a few unlit lump pieces keeping the pot from actually sitting down on the coals. 

If the pot and the wood inside doesn't get to a high enough temperature the off gassing of the wood will not occur. Not sure what that exact temperature is and it's probably a little different depending on the type of wood inside. 

I believe that the temp is too low. There really won't be a lot if hot coals to keep a KK at 250F. This is where the KK smoker will shine.:)

I usually light the charcoal with a weed burner, aiming right under the smoke pot, and generously missing, dousing the pot itself with flames. Addressing this issue, I haven't had any problems with insufficient smoke at 225 F, using a two quart pot.

At a friend's house, he was trying to cook four butts on an old K5. I advised a thorough preheat, so to catch up the smoke pot we put in later, we heated it as hot as we could get it in a gas grill, then moved it. This also worked.

Well that is interesting, Syzgygies, that only time I didn't get much smoke was when I did a low heat cook somewhere in the same range as Bosco's. 

I think you could add the smoke pot just after lighting. That would allow the smoke pot to heat up and get going.  I  get about 4 hours of smoke out of my 1 quart smoke pot. Meat only sucks up smoke the first couple of hours so if I loose an hour of smoke pot time while everything is heating up no big deal. Will try this next time I use it. Also cooking your low-n-slow at a slightly elevated temperature will help. 

59 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

I believe that the temp is too low. There really won't be a lot if hot coals to keep a KK at 250F. This is where the KK smoker will shine.:)

I totally agree. If I had a cold smoker I would have already figured this out. One day I'll order one. 

I think 250 is plenty hot.  Last weekend I did ribs using syzygies smoking pot.  I used the standard 2 quart pot from Lodge that many of us have.  I heat soaked my 32 for about an hour and a half and then put the pot on 5 minutes before the ribs.  I stuffed the pot full of chunk and chips and had smoke for about 5 hours. Also, there has been significant discussion about what to seal the pot with.  I have not sealed mine with anything.  the lid sits on pretty well and I have just left it that way.  Seems to work pretty well.  I may be losing some smoke around the lip, I haven't actually tried to watch it while it is smoking, but it is definitely creating the thin blue tasty smoke we are looking for. Sealing it might get me smoke for a longer period of time, I'm not sure.

@bosco I think it probably wasn't sitting on the coals right and just did not get hot enough as @ckreef suggested. 

15 hours ago, ckreef said:

I totally agree. If I had a cold smoker I would have already figured this out. One day I'll order one. 

Planning to (finally) give my cold smoker a run tomorrow with some beef plate ribs. Stay tuned...

1 person likes this

HalfSmoke, I will be tuned for the ribs and anxious to hear all about your experience.:)

5 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

HalfSmoke, I will be tuned for the ribs and anxious to hear all about your experience.:)

I know the drill. I shall be diligent about documenting with pics! :smt023

I'm thinking once everything gets going you might be able to close your vents and unhook the air pump. The KK sucking air through the cold smoker keeping the smoker going along with the KK temp. 

Edited by ckreef