Mosca

Might buy, got questions.

Hello, all. (Heyas, Ceramic Chef!) I have admired KKs for as long as I’ve known about them. I’m now in a position where, if everything goes according to plan, I can get one. 

Right now, I use a LBGE and a Weber Performer; the BGE handles all the low and slow, the Weber does all the grilling. It’s a nice pair, each doing what each does best. The KK (I’m looking at a 21”, there’s just the two of us and no big groups) would have to replace BOTH units. 

So what I’m asking: Who fires up their KK for a single hot dog, or burger? Is that a thing? I’ll typically drop a dozen or so briquets in the corner of the Weber for that kind of cook. Easy in, easy out, no project. Just a simple grilling. Because 75% of the time, that’s what I’m doing outside. That, maybe a couple steaks, maybe a few chicken thighs. I’ll do a brisket once a year, a butt once or twice a year, ribs maybe half a dozen times a year. 

I got no illusions about needing a KK. I don’t need one. I want one. I can justify it if it replaces both the other cookers, and it will create more space on the deck, giving up two cookers and tables. 

I was looking at a 19” tabletop, but once you add in the stand, you’re within a couple hundred of the 21”. I figure in for a pound, etc. 

• Like 4

I sold my large BGE for my 21 KK.  I cook for a family of 4 and I have friends over and the 21 is enough. I fire up my KK for big and small cooks. I only own my 21 KK it’s my one and only grill.  I use it 4 to 5 times a week. Great grill u won’t regret the purchase.  

Mosca I’ll fire up the KK for a steak/ sausages for small cooks.
I don’t cook many burgers and use a gas with flat plate bbq for bacon and and eggs.
If I didn’t have a gasser, I’d use the KK and an iron pan for the eggs.
You can cover all cooks with just a KK.
I know you want one....... get it.
No one here minds how you justify it, in fact, I’m sure they will offer another 100 reasons why you should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Hey there @Mosca.  It's clear that you are not a kamado newbie.  I don't know how insulated a BGE is but I have found the insulation in a KK to be phenomenal. You talk about dropping a few briquettes into a corner of your Weber for a small cook.  I am guessing that is because you burn them out for that one cook.  Well, in a KK, you can light up the centre of your full basket of coals, put a grate low down in the KK (or high up if you wish), do a quick cook and just "switch off" the burn by turning off the air flow.  I would bet that you will use fewer coals up on a quick cook in a KK than you do with the dozen or so coals on your Weber. 

I am in a similar place to you, trying to make a decision about my next KK(s).  Like you, I can see that the 21 is very similar in cost to the 19TT + stand so I guess it just depends on the look that you prefer.  If I was only getting one KK I would go for the 21 over the 19TT for size and versatility.   My guess is that you will be hooked when you get your first KK and will want another.  In the meantime have fun choosing.  Pebble, tile, colour....?

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, tekobo said:

Hey there @Mosca.  It's clear that you are not a kamado newbie.  I don't know how insulated a BGE is but I have found the insulation in a KK to be phenomenal. You talk about dropping a few briquettes into a corner of your Weber for a small cook.  I am guessing that is because you burn them out for that one cook.  Well, in a KK, you can light up the centre of your full basket of coals, put a grate low down in the KK (or high up if you wish), do a quick cook and just "switch off" the burn by turning off the air flow.  I would bet that you will use fewer coals up on a quick cook in a KK than you do with the dozen or so coals on your Weber.

Concur with @tekobo (hey, it happens now and then!). You can also purchase the basket splitter to give yourself two zones and reduce the amount of lump in the half basket. But, yes, you’ll find yourself using less charcoal overall due to the superb, but low airflow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Adding to the comments already posted regarding use and fuel.

We use our two KK's each week. I load them up w/ charcoal (lump or extruded) and by doing small cooks (chicken, dogs, burgers, salmon, etc) on either cooker I can make one load of charcoal last upwards of 5-6 cooks.

• Like 4

Agree with everything that's been said, especially on the saving charcoal by shutting it down after a quick cook.  One thing that I plan to do when I light it up to do a few steaks or burgers - I'll throw on a couple of chicken breasts/thighs or pork chops for other meals later in the week.  I cooked some ribs, and at the end I cranked up the KK, and put on a couple of steaks, it worked great to finish the ribs and cook the steaks at the same time.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for the input. It’s pretty much how I use my BGE right now. In fact, the last couple most recent dogs and burgers cooks I did on the BGE, and it definitely lights and gets to temperature faster than the Weber. I love both cookers, but it would be nice to replace them with one, and regain all that deck space. Current setup:

E3E532DA-894A-40A1-B07F-F7FFAF030070.thumb.jpeg.98ef6ed4d178921984d3eea88c05fc73.jpeg

The KK would go where the Weber is, under the umbrella. I think Autumn Gold In pebble finish would look really nice there. Then the BGE goes away, the fridge moves to where the cooler is... it all makes sense. 

I’m going to take @billg71’s advice, and have the Building Inspector check my deck to see if it will support the 550lbs, give or take, of a 21” with shelves etc. That, and if I can get the box up the steps! 

• Like 4

Indoors, we've got this gas range. It has insides and a top. We use the top more often, but the insides are very important.

Outdoors, those roles are assumed by our KK and a couple of Solo Stoves. Many nights, the meal is not centered around outdoor fire, but outdoor fire is critical to ingredient prep. For that, I can pour a bit of isopropyl alcohol over a wood/charcoal mix in a Solo Stove, light it, and be back in the house in thirty seconds. Real fire, as quick as lighting a gas grill.

Some nights we want pizza or focaccia di recco, or roast or tandoor chicken, or salmon. That's work for the KK.

Tonight's dinner was bean tacos. The tacos were from masa I ground yesterday for chicken tacos (grilled of course). Tonight's salsa was from garden tomatillos and garden chiles. A comal is traditional for blackening these ingredients, but I prefer a real fire.

I'll light the smaller Solo Stove to roast a single pepper. The Weber kettle has gone untouched for years. Anything the Solo Stove can't do, the KK can. I need both.

• Like 2