BARDSLJR

Recommendations for cooking leg of lamb

On 4/4/2021 at 3:03 AM, BARDSLJR said:

Alas, just last night put the last three anchovy fillets left over from the caesar dressing I made from scratch the week before in my wife's Chef's Salad. Not the sort of thing I keep around on hand, although I should, at least as a paste.

Did manage to make a paste with one whole bulb of very fresh garlic, a lot of fresh rosemary, and a little olive oil. The results shown in attached photo. Leg of lamb is on the grill. Results in about 2 hours, eta, more or less.

IMG_2187.jpeg

Fantastic 👏 

I have a jar of filets in my fridge. They keep like forever if you keep them covered in oil. The paste comes in a tube, like toothpaste, so it might be easier to use than filets. Look for it in the supermarket where they sell the canned sardines. However, the filets are very tender and are easy to smash into a paste. 

• Like 2

On 9/29/2021 at 2:17 AM, C6Bill said:

I just got a leg an while I don’t like anchovy my lady friend does so I’d like to cook this for her. Any info would be much appreciated 😁

Super sweet of you to plan to cook this even though you don't like it.  The best news is that you don't need to like anchovies when they are cooked this way.  They "melt" into the meat, leaving great flavour and much less of the strong taste that you may dislike.  I don't mash mine to a paste, I just poke holes in the lamb and stuff anchovy and slivers of garlic in alternate holes.  Works out great every time.   

• Like 4

Well, I don't know if there are any brisket "secrets" anymore.  I just follow Aaron Franklin's directions but it seems like EVERY DAMN TIME something happens to screw up whatever I had carefully planned: last time I had brisket going and unknowingly tripped a circuit breaker, turning off my BBQ Guru for 90 minutes. The time before that I had not fully closed the air vent semi-circle in the 32" Kamado and the tiny little additional draft jumped the temperature up about 15* (F) higher than I'd planned, so I just had to wrap it that much sooner. No big deal, and they both turned out fine, and I am edging up  on Franklin-quality brisket, but not there yet.

However here are my two latest projects: first, pork shoulder for pulled pork to vacuum-pack, freeze, and take down to  my friends in Louisiana in trade for GREAT seafood and even better company (oh, and Lee has a fabulous wine cellar.....)

IMG_2452.jpeg

IMG_2453.jpeg

IMG_2454.jpeg

• Like 3

And then there's the rib issue. Typically, I have been smoking some babyback ribs- always from Costco, which has the best quality ribs for the best price- about every three or four weeks. The ribs come in packs of three, so I always do six or nine, save two for our household (one for later in the week) and give the rest away- to my daughter's household, four doors down, to the neighbors (I am VERY popular with some of them as a result). Early on, I got a recipe from an on-line barbecue forum and I was cooking them on the 3/2/1 method- 3 hours in at 225, two hours wrapped, 1 hour unwrapped to finish. They were coming out like mush....toothpaste grade. After the second attempt turned out the same way, I went back to my friends on the forum and asked "What am I doing wrong?" "Aw, man!", came the reply: "That's the recipe for St.Louis-style ribs: for babyback ribs, it's 2-1-1." So that's what I've been doing ever since, with subtle variations and improvements in rub, spritzing, and technique: I recently started turning them over meat-side down during the wrapped period, and they've been more moist as a result. Presto, innovation!  So my babybacks have been pretty damn near perfect, consistently, whatever "perfect" is.

However, there is a new wrinkle and all is not well in ribs paradise: HUGE price hikes over the summer. I had been paying about $2.79-$2.99/lb for babybacks for the last several years- so a 3-pack would be $26-$29, usually. Now, ladies and gentlemen, babyback ribs have gone up to about $5.50/lb.....nearly doubled! Holy Hell! Now a pack of ribs was $55 or so. That makes it a little more difficult to cook so many for give-away.....but wait. For some strange reason, St Louis-style spareribs have not gone up that much....they're still in the high $2 range. So I switched last time and did the spareribs, and guess what, they're excellent, and meatier than the babybacks, and quite good! Oh yes, and I am using the 3/2/1 method......

IMG_2448.jpeg

• Like 3

And, BTW, here are a couple of recent cooks from later this summer: beef ribs and a pretty decent brisket. With the brisket, it is always something, even using the BBQ Guru: this time I accidently left one of KK's air vents slightly open, and while I was off at the gym, the temperature crept up to 300 or more by the time I got back. The briisket's temperature was rising a lot faster than I had anticipated. Oh well....The fix? I just wrapped it a little early and thoroughly spritzed it in the butcher paper wrap. It turned out very well, thank you.

IMG_2440 (1).jpeg

IMG_2417.jpeg

• Like 4