Troble

Non KK cooks

The cowboy steak, an impressive hunka meat. There was a break today from the heat and I just cleaned up/touched up the rust on the Santa Maria grill with some sanding and a fresh coat of paint so it needed to be fired up. Seared low at first and then coasted to temp up high, fresh sweet corn (yum) and a few leftovers...pictured is 2nd plate. Additionally is the new fire pit, it's a beast, side to side it's 42 inches, 15 inches deep, 290 lbs and almost 3/4 in thick. It does come with cooking attachments, I'm mulling the thought.

DSCF4258.JPG

DSCF4262.JPG

DSCF4261.JPG

DSCF4256.JPG

DSCF4257.JPG

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 5

I remembered that a Prime rib was lurking in the freezer and it's presence was brought to my attention inadvertently by Syzygies suggestion of sous viding large pieces for long time.   Seriously I had forgotten I owned a sous vide, it's been a while...so I dug it out of hiding. The roast was aprox. 5lbs, 4 1/2 after trim, double bagged, injected, salted and rubbed then placed inside the water for 15 hours at 132 degrees. Always double bag, if one has a weak defective seam you'll be glad you did. Now I would have done my searing on the KK, but 6 months ago the Weber Summit grill I own seared my eyebrows during this process in a backdraft incident...this was payback/revenge, getting even and clearing the slate. The process went well without incident and the rest is picture history. If you notice in pics there's a green labeled container of Japanese BBQ sauce, if you can find it in your area or on Amazon I would recommend it with red meat as a marinate or as a side...it's pretty good. All I can add to Sous Vide cooking is that it's such a cheat.

DSCF4296.JPG

DSCF4297.JPG

DSCF4300.JPG

DSCF4301.JPG

DSCF4302.JPG

DSCF4304.JPG

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 6

Two Tri-tips on the Santa Maria and homemade Porter Road recipe of garlic/parsley sausages on the offset. You'll notice one pic will show a fire basket on the offset, I always had trouble on this pit maintaining a clean and steady fire with the flat piece the manufacturer provided. Knowing other companies were making specially designed baskets for their fire boxes I chose to design my own to scale to fit the configuration of my box. This piece allows me to maintain a steady coal bed by concentrating the coals to the narrow base, this helps  for a clean and continuous fire from 150-300 degrees. With this unit, it allows me to smoke sausages at lower temp as you would in a custom smoke house without the risk of your fire coal bed disappearing. Made of 1/4" steel with a 3/8" base plate. 
You know I could've cooked the Tri-tip on the KK however after finally catching a break in the weather after two weeks of hot and humid it was welcome to play with the other toys. Alls well that went well.

DSCF4305.JPG

DSCF4306.JPG

DSCF4308.JPG

DSCF4309.JPG

• Like 5

If y'all will recall, I did a practice run on an open fire rotisseried pig last April. After watching way too much Weather Channel and other weather-related TV to see what Debby was going to do, we had a beautiful but hot day here in North Carolina Saturday for the real run. We applied all the lessons learned from the practice pig and had a very smooth cook with an 89 pound pig, plus some chickens spinning on strings (shoulda done a practice chicken as well since the pig was done right on time but the chickens were a bit late). I got busy and neglected to get pics of the completed pig and chickens, but here are some in-process pics and videos.

I couldn't really taste the meat due to some sinus congestion and smoke inhalation, but others said both were very tasty.

PXL_20240810_135634985.jpg

PXL_20240810_151408883.MP.jpg

PXL_20240810_170229539.jpg

PXL_20240810_170232663.jpg

• Like 2

I made duck and bread this weekend, forgot to take a single pic of the duck 🫣 It was my lady friends brithday so i made her favorite meal of duck breast served on a board with fruit cheese and olives. And marbled rye, at least i took pics of that before getting distracted lol

IMG_0170.jpeg

• Haha 3

My brother took a few more pics and videos from our cookout, including some of the chickens.

@C6Bill, the meat market offered to cut off the head and feet but we initially left then on for presentation (plus I have some kin who like the tongue and there's a surprising amount of meat on the head), but we ended up cutting the feet off - we had the pig's spine secured to the spit before realizing we hadn't accounted for the hind legs when centering it on the spit. 

PXL_20240810_170229539.jpg

PXL_20240810_170232663.jpg

IMG_6454.JPG

Edited by jeffshoaf
  • Like 3