Tony8919

Prime Rib Rotisserie Set Up

With the holidays fast approaching, I am sure many are looking to cook a prime rib via the rotisserie attachment. Anyone have any best practices for this? I do not yet have the basket splitter for the rotisserie so was thinking of either use using a smaller foil pan in the charcoal basket to split it in half and catch the drippings or just fill the basket full and put foil on the lower grate (if it would fit) to create a half indirect zone. Appreciate any tips and Merry Xmas!

i would spin meats on the kk rotisserie that cook hot and fast. like chicken or pork.

for edge-to-edge medium rare prime rib (exactly how it's served in a restaurant), use reverse sear method in the kk without the rotisserie. 

or even better, sous vide then sear. the sv bag will yield lots of liquid for making jus with no mess.

and there will be no puncture holes made by the spit rod for a better presentation...

i made prime rib roast on a spit years ago on a weber kettle. charcoal baskets on opposite sides with a drip tray in the middle. it was not possible to get edge-to-edge medium rare this way. lots of grey banding and over cooked edges. i would assume the same if done the same way in a kk..

Tony,

YouTube is your friend.  I am doing the same thing for Christmas dinner.  There are several YouTube videos shows various methods.  Many of the videos are crappy and show everything but rotisserie BBQ cooking, so view several videos.

I have done several prime rib roasts.  Sometimes I simply put the prime rib on the upper rack, offset from the coals.  Other times I rotisserie cook.  Sometimes I put an aluminum pan under the rib roast while other times I let the juices drip into the fire similar to when I do hui hui chicken. 

In my opinion, offset rotisserie BBQing is best, but seer all sides first.  I am somewhat a minimalist related to spices however I go big on [garlic] butter throughout the cooking process to keep things moist and flavorful.  Recommended cooking temps range from 125* - to - 135*.  Bottom line: do not overcook the rib roast.  As you know, it will cook more after you cover the roast and it rests. 

Good luck.

djami - Virginia

I always reverse sear prime rib. I was that perfect medium rare from edge to edge as mentioned earlier. Off set indirect at 235 until 115 degrees. Then set it aside for 20 minutes then  get the flames going really good and sear on the lowest rack (the upper rack turned upside down) just above the flames 

• Like 1

I was a little lost with this one until I realised it was because I don't actually know what a prime rib is.  Turns out we call it a standing rib roast here in the UK.  Yes, I agree with @djami's bottom line - you don't want to overcook one of those!  I had not heard of @C6Bill's twist - taking the meat off to rest before searing it.  Is that just because it is the time it takes to get the flames going or is there a benefit from resting the meat before searing it?  I might have been tempted to sear first over flames before the KK is heat soaked and while the meat was cool to reduce chances of cooking the inside.  I might then steal @C6Bill's idea and rest the meat while you let the flames die down and get the KK to target temp for the indirect cook.  

I've done several prime rib roasts on my 23KK and always use the method @C6Bill describes, albeit with a lower initial temp (200°F) and pull it at 112°F. On my 23KK, it only takes about 10 minutes to rise to 500-550°F after several hours at 200°F and then the sear takes about 5-6.5 minutes total. I think this method gives more control over the final temperature, but I've never tried the method @tekobo suggests (I tend to stick with what has worked for me before, especially with an expensive piece of meat...). I also add smoke chunks for the initial phase so the sear-first would be quite different. If you try the sear-first method, @tekobo, I would be interested to see the results.

Yep- I used exactly method @C6Bill describes when I did a prime rib roast for Christmas here last year. Cooked exactly the way I also do thick cut steaks like Bistecca Fiorentina.

Not sure whether the rest imparts major benefits, but it seems to make sense to do it this way as you can cook low and slow until rare, then crank the KK for searing while it rests, which also then gives you some wriggle room to time the finished product down to when you want to serve.

Can't imagine you could get edge-to-edge pink like this with a rotisserie?

IMG_5279.jpeg

IMG_5283.jpeg

• Like 6

That pic looks gorgeous @remi!

@jonj I don't know that I am likely to cook a prime rib anytime soon.  I tend to cook one rib wide joints.  More surface area for the char and also the fact that I would cook one blue for me and rare/medium rare for other people.  The only annoying thing is that people who profess to want a medium rare cook end up eating my blue steak and enjoying it, leaving too much of the medium rare for me to eat.  Oh well, if that is the price of converting people to the dark (and wobbly) side, I might be  happy to pay it.  

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, tony b said:

Not done in the KK, as I'm visiting family for the holidays. This was done in the oven, low & slow (275F) for 3 hours, then rested for 30 minutes, then seared under the broiler.

20231225_171716.thumb.jpg.581ae3ac815408743f6ef0db51b4c1cd.jpg20231225_171841.thumb.jpg.1043fa3dc4ce4cc11a16f28ad6230d6d.jpg20231225_172358.thumb.jpg.80b0cbcb1d692d96df118d99614fbb23.jpg

Didn't suck!

MERRY CHRISTMAS! 

That was a hilarious comment, so perfect as was the cook. :mrgreen: :smt046:smt003

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A few pics of the one I did yesterday. @tekobo the reason for the rest after getting the internal temp is that if you rest before searing, to the point where the internal temp starts to drop again, you can sear much longer without risk of the internal temp going up higher. And of course there was bread, I’ve been making a whole grain sourdough lately and marbled rye, they have both been big hits 👍

IMG_1256.jpeg

IMG_1257.jpeg

IMG_1260.jpeg

IMG_1220.jpeg

• Like 6

On 12/27/2023 at 3:53 AM, C6Bill said:

@tekobo the reason for the rest after getting the internal temp is that if you rest before searing, to the point where the internal temp starts to drop again, you can sear much longer without risk of the internal temp going up higher.

Thanks for the explanation @C6Bill!

• Thanks 1