DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Did a big cook this week end - beef ribs, bacon and sirloin roast beef.post-367-0-64452700-1410808717_thumb.jpg The temp got away from me a little bit even though I was using the Stoker because I was prepping my ribs and roast while the Stoker was bringing the grill to my initial setting of 175 deg and then it took a fair amount of time for me to load the meat and probes. The air rushing in pushed the temp up to 250 and it barely got back down to 215 after a couple of hours.But everything looks good. It took the same amount of time for the bacon to reach 150 and the roast beef to reach 115 and it rose to 122 while sitting on the counter. Will take out the slicer in a day or two to slice the roast beef for deli style sandwiches and slice 1 lb of the bacon for breakfast. Then I will use another pound for a couple of batches of pasta carbonara and the last pound for bacon jam.  I smoked the bacon with the skin on because I love to make soup in the winter and wanted the smoky skin for the stock. Can't wait to try it!!  post-367-0-92016800-1410808780_thumb.jpgpost-367-0-48399900-1410808788_thumb.jpg

The dinosaur style beef ribs are tough to find around here but I come across them now and then in the supermarkets or in my farmer's market, which is where these are from. They were especially meaty, except for the middle 2 rib section. I've also had the experience of buying a large pack of them to find out the ones on top looked really nice but the ones underneath were so trimmed they weren't worth the effort to cook. So I never plan on them - just buy them when I have a chance and consider myself lucky.  

Cornish Hens ready to go on the KK post-367-0-88092800-1411921892_thumb.jpg

Cornish ends ready to come off the KK  post-367-0-00759100-1411921903_thumb.jpg

Crispy on the outside, moist, tender and delicious on the inside. Stupid simple recipe - spread with mustard, sprinkle with  cayenne. 1/4 splitter basket raised direct 400ish until crispy and finish on the indirect side. 

There’s probably something to that. The folks that like to cook pizza in their kamado grills often put the pizza up high to help the crust get crisp.

Actually, it's primarily to get the toppings done/cheese melted before the crust burns on the very hot pizza stone. Have you ever been to a pizza restaurant with a big brick oven, especially a wood-fired one? Watch them cook the pies; at the end of the cook, once the crust is done, they take the peal and lift the pie up near the ceiling to finish them off. Same principle as what we do in the KK by using the upper grate near the dome.

Pizza night again last night. 2 baby pies. Since I cracked my smaller pizza stone (not a KK one), I had to go back to the big KK stone that only fits on the main grill so the upper part of the crust didn't brown as nicely. (Note to self - order one of the new pizza stones for the upper grill.) Here's some pics anyway.

post-975-0-96457100-1412360514.jpg

This one was artichoke hearts, mushrooms, and sundried tomatoes with Grana cheese.

post-975-0-40765200-1412360636.jpg

Nice crust on the bottom, even if the top didn't brown as nice as I wanted.

post-975-0-56111500-1412360666.jpg

This one is a classic Margarita.