DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Re: Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Firemonkey you are 100% correct.

I was "more comfortable" than my steak searing guru on YouTube. You know who you are :-)

OK the steaks came out a little over done for me but guests all said they were perfect.

Slow cook with plenty of smoke (pear wood) for about 1hr and internal was 45C

Of the grill and tented until ready to eat.

Aussie style, I threw a few shrimp on the barbie. Chilli and lime - nice!

eju6ypah.jpg

Then seared the steaks. Actually on the sear grill but it was too hot so I put the main grill back on and transferred them to finish.

9azu2a6a.jpg

Rested and sliced, served up on the wood boards on the table.

Great smokey, charcoal grill flavour and juicy

uny6a5eb.jpg

if i had kept the grill temp under better control, drunk less red wine it would have been perfect. I also would choose rib eye or t-bone next time over these strips, they were a bit lean.

2 14 oz ribeyes cooked on 1/4 basket of lump' date=' the sear grill on the low handles just over the coals, KK at 500 deg, 2 minutes a side. Perfect every time.[/quote']

Please remember to use the solid SS sheet that closes the unused side of the basket..

It effectively doubles the airflow on the side with charcoal..

Gives you more control of your temps..

fetch?id=67419fetch?id=67420 Re: Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Did a whole turkey breast today. I injected it with butter,pure maple syrup, honey and apple juice. For the wet rub I puréed 1 yellow apple, 2 strips of apple smoked bacon and a little apple juice. Then I put on a dry rub of paprika, garlic powder, a little salt, black pepper, celery salt and a little cayenne pepper. Cooked at 250 for 3 hours with a smoke of 1/3 hickory and 2/3 pear wood. I also did a key lime pie on the KK to and it turned out great.

post-7063-139082404444_thumb.jpg

post-7063-139082404471_thumb.jpg

Re: Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details fetch?id=74791 Scottish Salmon smoked today. Did a quick brine of kosher salt and brown sugar for 30 mins, then let the air dry about 20 minutes next to the window. Smoked at 240-250 for an hour, a few (4-5) tiny pieces of used Coco and 1/2 piece of fresh Coco and a piece of Pecan, and they were perfect! Still learning to bait long enough for the white smoke from the smoking wood to dissipate. I put these on about 10 minutes too early, but the smoke flavor was still very nice and not overpowering.

post-7653-139082418597_thumb.jpg

fetch?id=74793fetch?id=74795 Re: Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

16 lb. Snake River Farms brisket, with the coffee cardamom rub, coco char, and a couple of hickory chunks. I cooked it at 225F, indirect, on the upper rack, no pan. It ended up taking 16 hrs. to an internal temp. of 188F. All I can say is, holy smoked brisket Batman!!! Robert Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post-7653-139082418606_thumb.jpg

post-7653-139082418638_thumb.jpg

I drove from San Antonio to Houston and back this weekend. There are several big name Texas BBQ joints between here and there. It occurs to me we do brisket as good or better on our KK's, once we get our technique down. 56's photo supports that, no?

BTW, for those who are willing to use your first name, please do. I do understand some folks would rather not.

All else equal, first experiences get elevated in one's memories. I was utterly stunned the first time I had pesto, yet I'm sure I've made better.

The best brisket I've ever had in my life was in Elgin, TX. I've come close several times, but they had it all. Great beef, constant practice, and probably a protocol none of us have hit upon.

I was at a math conference in College Station, I'd found the best local dive BBQ joint and was taking various colleagues there. Picking up some wine the last afternoon, I asked the guy bagging my wine if we'd found the right place.

I ... don't ... eat ... bar .. be ... cue

One could have a reading of Molly Bloom's Soliloquy between two of his syllables. The New Yorker in me was crawling out of my skin. The last vegetarian outside the Austin city limits? "Toto, we're not in Houston any more!"

'round ... here!

Well then? Where does this guy go? Elgin. The 15 lbs of brisket carry-on attracted some attention, but not till we'd taken off.

faculty.jpg

Dave

Doc, Elgin sausages are the best. When i lived in Bastrop I would go to Elgin and buy them at the butcher shop on the east end of town, dont remember the name of the place but the local farmer/ranchers would back their livestock trailer up to the back door and the meat was sold fresh in the front case. i moved from there 25 years ago, and the Meyers sausages i can get here in the metroplex just arent as good as those fresh hot gut sausages. Thanks, i need to get back down there.

fetch?id=67444 Maple Brined Turkey Breast

Did an 8.5 lb turkey breast on Sunday, 325 Stoker indirect to 155 deg. Followed Doc's maple brine recipe except I added some fennel seeds and coriander seeds due to personal taste. It was brined for 24 hours, rinsed, dried and placed on the grill in a roasting pan over a bed or carrots, celery, onions and some white wine. The flavor and texture of the meat was fabulous - moist, juicy, flavorful and "melt in your mouth" delicious. I couldn't have asked for more as far as the interior of the breast was concerned and am a convert to white poultry meat with brining in the prep. But the skin wasn't as good as it should be. I don't think it had enough heat/time to crisp up. Next time I will start this cook 2 days ahead instead of 1 so I can brine it for 24 hours and air dry it in the frig for another 24 hours. And I'll probably give it a good blast of 500 deg heat from my kitchen oven for a short time before it goes on the KK. Self criticisms notwithstanding, can't wait to do it again!!!!

post-6735-13908240464_thumb.jpg