DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Re: Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

How about putting thin slices of Garlic in between the slices? Yum.

I can think of all kinds of possibilities for stuffings.

Susan, my only concern with your technique is the impact on the cutting knife from hitting the butter knives. I think bgrant3406 is onto something with the rolling pin idea. Just need to find a wooden dowel (or similar) of the right diameter to use that won't damage the blades on my knife (or I could use one that I don't care about too much if the blade gets dinged up some).

How about putting thin slices of Garlic in between the slices? Yum.

I can think of all kinds of possibilities for stuffings.

Susan, my only concern with your technique is the impact on the cutting knife from hitting the butter knives. I think bgrant3406 is onto something with the rolling pin idea. Just need to find a wooden dowel (or similar) of the right diameter to use that won't damage the blades on my knife (or I could use one that I don't care about too much if the blade gets dinged up some).

Two wood spoons.

Susan' date=' my only concern with your technique is the impact on the cutting knife from hitting the butter knives. I think bgrant3406 is onto something with the rolling pin idea. Just need to find a wooden dowel (or similar) of the right diameter to use that won't damage the blades on my knife (or I could use one that I don't care about too much if the blade gets dinged up some).[/quote']

You're absolutely right, Tony, and I never even gave that a thought. My "go to" knive is a Shun Santokou knive that I bought at least 15 years ago. I guess I like it because I reach for it all the time, even though its all beat up. Gee, I wonder why??? :D Chopsticks or wooden spoons with thin handles are much better ideas.

The stuffing suggestions are brilliant!! You might have to wait until the potatoes are partially cooked before inserting the stuffing since the potatoes are not very pliable when are they are raw.

Susan, I recently bought 2 Shun Kaji knives, a Nigiri and a Santoku (love them!), so I want to keep them in good shape for as long as I can. Hopefully you can restore yours.

I originally thought about wooden spoons, but without trying it first, was wondering about the thickness and whether or not I have 2 the same size - LOL!

My guess is that chopsticks might not be big enough, especially if you don't level off the bottom of the potato to stabilize it and to keep from cutting too deep on the ends.

Enough speculation, time to get into the kitchen and experiment! Empirical data is always superior to hypothesis alone!

I made the potatoes. I used two wooden spoons and it worked out. I put garlic between every slit of the potatoes. I used red potatoes. The potatoes were put in an aluminum pan with olive oil and Italian spice mix.

I cooked a Spatchcock Chicken with margarine and rub underneath the skin.

So as the chicken is cooking the drippings from the chicken went on the potatoes. The potatoes came out tasty

Thank you for sharing.

Cook's Illustrated has a variation of your technique that I have tried and it is very good. I think they call it High Temperature Roasted Butterflied Chicken with roasted potatoes. Glad you confirmed that the raw potato is pliable enough to put something between the slices.

Made some pastrami - writ large. I love pastrami. My sons love pastrami. But I really prefer deli pastrami, which is made from leaner cuts (like round) rather than brisket.

Some of you might remember that I got a commercial slicer a while back, and since then, this is probably the third time I've made one of these pastrami roasts. I use an inside round roast from the warehouse store. Super cheap, like $3.50/# and it makes beautiful pastrami, as well as pit beef (Baltimore style seasoned roast beef). It's sort of my go-to cut for slicing beef now.

To make the pastrami, it's just a matter of seasoning and curing the meat for about a week. Rinse all the cure off, then rub with the spices for the finished crust, let sit overnight, and smoke until 165. Slice it thin, and its Reubens for dinner! The recipe I use I found on another forum. I'll post it if anyone wants it. This particular recipe uses a brine injection along with a rub of dry curing agents, which probably helps when doing a big roast like this. This one was about 12.5 pounds.

esa7u4aq.jpgzagare7u.jpg

I have been cooking alot, but not posting....

here are some baby lamb chops. Salt. pepper, Herbs de Provence. 400 dome to med-rare. The last pic was the thickest one which was a tad shy of MR....I ate it any way.... :headbang: 

post-747-0-71255900-1396396438_thumb.jpgpost-747-0-87582700-1396396480_thumb.jpgpost-747-0-57683500-1396396521_thumb.jpgpost-747-0-15639100-1396396525_thumb.jpg

I wish I could buy Porterhouse here.. Covers both craves..
Those lil lamb chops are all the Aussies eat and all that's sold here in Bali (hate those lollipops) They consider our big ones Mutton and inedible.. I'm told that we have a way of reducing the gamey-ness in the States.. I really miss the big ones.. They were not available in California last summer..

That's funny, Dennis, as almost all of our supermarket lamb comes from Down Under and we have no problems getting "regular cut" lamb loin chops (think baby T-bones), as well as whole racks of lamb, which can be cut into lollipops. Just scored some loin chops at CostCo, as they had stocked up on lamb for Easter.

I've been doing some low and slow chickens the last few weeks. Brining them with 2 cups apple cider vinegar, 1.5 Quarts ice water, about a third cup kosher salt, 1/3 cup honey, and about a half cup of old bay seasoning. I put it in the brine when I get up in the morning, and leave it there about 4-5 hours.

Then onto the upper grill with the stoker set to 250 - a single fist sized chunk of Apple wood for smoke.

Takes about 4-5 hours on the grill. Never dry at all, and mighty tasty. My new favorite way to do chicken.

4uga6e3a.jpg

Retained heat chicken parts.....

Bring KK to 450-500 in about 20 minutes.

cook parts on upper grill direct 5 minutes per side.

close down KK and let temp drift down to about 325 over next 10-15 minutes.

take breasts off.

10 minutes more for legs. crispy skin and moist

post-747-0-85840300-1397521088_thumb.jpg

Duck and drippin potatoes...used a modified Lilly recipe from his new book asian inspired served with hoisin and pancakes.

Threw some ribs on at the last minute for dinner tomorrow...high heat with the duck...ok I ate a couple tonight...can't lie.

They were good even cooked high and fast

post-747-0-68617200-1399247020_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-92203300-1399247064_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-53318900-1399247119_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-92946200-1399247170_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-55022000-1399247179_thumb.jpg

post-747-0-73505200-1399247200_thumb.jpg

Yummy looking duck!

When I did my Peking Ducks last month, I saved the dripping fat in a pan. Used it to fry potatoes lyonnaise that night and make frites with it the next. Nothing better than potatoes cooked in duck fat!!!