MacKenzie

Cheese Burgers

Always love a burger cook.

I noticed you used the basket splitter. Did you do that to do direct/indirect cooking?

And with the 21†basket shaped the way that it is, can you split the basket in the other direction? The 23†basket is round, so I can split it front to back or side to side.

So, we've now uncovered the first big design difference between the "standard" 23" and the HiCap 21" - the shape of the charcoal basket. 

While I use the side-by-side split 90% of the time, it's nice to be able to do "front-to-back" on occasion. Given the airflow profile inside the KK, there is a difference in how each cooks, in my opinion, as I've not actually measured temperatures to see if my theory is correct. My impression is that there is practically no difference in left fire vs right fire in a side-to-side basket split, but there is a difference in a back fire vs front fire in a front-to-back basket split, with the back fire being hotter than the front fire arrangement (for the same draft door/top hat setting). This is based upon the shape of the lid. There is left/right symmetry, but not front/back symmetry. 

Maybe Dennis has studied this and can tell us if this is actually the case??

There should be a difference, since the vent is placed towards the back of the grill, which creates a natural flow of air across the cooking area. In general, this is a desirable thing.

I forgot which book this is from, but the same principle holds in kettle grills.

post-1821-0-54087300-1437677025_thumb.jp

That's one of the few nice things about cooking on a Weber kettle - you can position the top vent circumferentially anywhere you want to get direct or cross-flows. Those of us with the round charcoal basket can basically do the same thing using the basket splitter and positioning it relative to the top vent to achieve the desired flow pattern.